 Trains / 5038
Re: New LEGO train realism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:00:58 GMT

"Dean Husby" <nntp@akasa.bc.ca> wrote in message
news:38D99A3F.9ED3C5F8@akasa.bc.ca...

[ ... snipped ... ]

Our group (The VLC) are about to meet to select a table format. We are • leaning
towards the PNLTC standard tables. We will be adjusting the width for • maximum
usage. I'm even thinking of bolt on Plexi glass to 'protect' our layouts.

I've been reading with great interest in the discussions here.

Dean
--
TFM's Home Page: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm

Here in North Carolina we decided to also use the PNLTC "standard" for
several reasons.

1)  We didn't see any reason to re-invent the wheel - I am personally not a
big NIH fan.

2)  We didn't envision ever going with a all LEGO module like GMLTC
(requires to many bricks and $$$)

3)  In the event there was ever a chance to hook layouts together, being
compatible with another group seemed to make a lot of sense and PNLTC is
farthest down the path (IMHO) AND has a published standard.

4)  PNLTC tables are relatively affordable allowing more money to be
allocated to what goes on top of the tables ;-)

Now as a grooup (NCLUG - http://www.nclug.net) we are very slowly getting
our act together, but we felt making a decision on a table standard was
critical and would allow interested parties to work independently.  In fact,
one of my co-workers and his son built two small moudles and one large
module within a week of me pointing him to the  Acrobat file.  I expect that
I will build two large and three or four small modules sometime in the next
couple of months (although the fact that my brother-in-law's table saw being
destroyed in a freak accident where a USPS driver drove through a garage
door has probably delayed their construction).

Mike

--

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh@mindspring.com
http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh