 Trains / 4980
Re: New LEGO train realism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 02:44:18 GMT

The PNLTC standard has been good to us. Transporting the legs, as James brings
up, is a drawback, but they can be easily made with a minimal amount of
materials beyond the scrap from the table top.  And they are very sturdy.
I've sat on the tables before and they hold me just fine [1]

We are converting many of our tables to add fold down buffet style table
legs.  They do not add anything to the thickness of the table and height can
be easily modified by adding a piece of PVC tubing to the bottom of the leg.
(Thanks to Will Chapman for the idea).  The legs will cost you $10-$30 per set
so they cost a little bit, but they do speed setup and take a lot of bulk out
of the materials required for a show.  (I wouldn't sit on these type of table
legs)

Another factor to consider when discussing the width of the module.  We
frequently double stack our modules side by side giving us a 60" wide
surface.  It's nice to have the extra space, but it comes at a cost.  It can
become very difficult to reach the inside of the table.  Now I'm tall [2] so I
do not have much of a problem, but others do.  Simply one other thing to
consider.

Also, a wider module seperates you from the public more and makes it more
difficult to talk to them.  This is one of my favorite aspects of being at a
show.  We are actually considering eliminating the space inside the layout and
working it only from the outside, with an operator area stanchioned off.  But
we have a lot of flexability with our modules, so we'll likely try lots of
things over the coming years.

Simply providing a few things for others to think about.  I'm not advocating
for a right way or even a better way, simply putting out things for people to
consider that haven't been brought up before.

Ben Fleskes
PNLTC

[1] I weigh about 260lbs.
[2] 6'5" with long arms.

In lugnet.trains, James J. Trobaugh writes:
The tables used by the NGLTC where built using the original standards • published by
the PNLTC. They are a bit narrower (to fit the mini van) but are the same • height
and use the same basic principle of connecting together. Only one table of the
entire group ever has four legs attached, the rest share at least one leg • from the
other tables. I am working on a way to make some folding legs, since • transporting
all those legs and bolting them on is becoming a pain. The nice thing is that • they
are very sturdy and can handle any 4 year olds that break past our ropes.

jt

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

Next question: is there already a standard for Lego train modules, • accepted by
most train clubs? Or is there no compability between any of them?

Short answer: No standard

Long answer: There is no standards making body. But there were defacto
standards...

There WERE two standards, sort of. PNLTC and other "non legomodular" clubs
seemed to be working to one module standard. At least that's my impression.
Someone from North GA LTC might be better

GMLTC had set another standard for legomodular by being first. And BAYLTC • was
going to follow it, or at least be compatible.

But as you've seen there's a bit of a sea change underway.

++Lar

James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club
http://www.ngltc.org