 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 497
Re: infrared remote control of LEGO trains using NQC and RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:36:42 GMT

First, let me apologize for mistyping NQC as NCQ.

Hey Ben!

Hope those rumors are true.  So if they are going to do something with remote
switches and such, will it be similar to DCC or radio/infrared control?  I'm
guessing some form of remote control. Perhaps supplying 9v current over the
rails (or battery) and remotely control throttle with radio/infrared. My guess
is based on the LEGO desire to make things compatible between systems.  DCC
would have limited application beyond trains.  LEGO already has Radio and
Infrared systems out there that may be compatible with what the trains will be.

Perhaps my work is needless, but with all my LEGO projects, I had fun with it
and ultimately, that's what I'm after.

In other news.  My new turntable module is 95% done.  It Measures 96 studs
square, with a 80 stud diameter turntable.  The turntable is supported by
inside gray curved train track around the perimeter.  I'm now moving on to the
Roundhouse module that is 96 studs square as well.  There will be four bays,
each about 75 studs deep.  My new design is much cleaner and nicer then what
I've done in the past.  It's also very modular so I can transport it easily.

Ben F

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

Hi Ben F.!

Maybe all your work is a little needless, since there are rumors going around
here in Germany, saying Lego is going to invent new more realistic trains next
year, or even late this year around X-mas......

I've heared about it from a friend of mine (who has a friend...) whose
girl-friend is working at a PR agency, which is layouting the new Lego catalog
with new digital controlled train stuff including remote controlled points and
signals. Maybe it's just one of those rumors. I haven't seen any pics so far
and maybe the result is something like the long expected Millenium Falcon • (kind
of juniorized again?)....

Regards,

Ben (the one with the ABS site....)