 Trains / 4982
Re: New LEGO train realism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:14:55 GMT

Ben Fleskes wrote:

The PNLTC standard has been good to us. Transporting the legs, as James brings
up, is a drawback, but they can be easily made with a minimal amount of
materials beyond the scrap from the table top.  And they are very sturdy.
I've sat on the tables before and they hold me just fine [1]

We are converting many of our tables to add fold down buffet style table
legs.  They do not add anything to the thickness of the table and height can
be easily modified by adding a piece of PVC tubing to the bottom of the leg.
(Thanks to Will Chapman for the idea).  The legs will cost you $10-$30 per set
so they cost a little bit, but they do speed setup and take a lot of bulk out
of the materials required for a show.  (I wouldn't sit on these type of table
legs)

Another factor to consider when discussing the width of the module.  We
frequently double stack our modules side by side giving us a 60" wide
surface.  It's nice to have the extra space, but it comes at a cost.  It can
become very difficult to reach the inside of the table.  Now I'm tall [2] so I
do not have much of a problem, but others do.  Simply one other thing to
consider.

Also, a wider module seperates you from the public more and makes it more
difficult to talk to them.  This is one of my favorite aspects of being at a
show.  We are actually considering eliminating the space inside the layout and
working it only from the outside, with an operator area stanchioned off.  But
we have a lot of flexability with our modules, so we'll likely try lots of
things over the coming years.

Simply providing a few things for others to think about.  I'm not advocating
for a right way or even a better way, simply putting out things for people to
consider that haven't been brought up before.

Our group (The VLC) are about to meet to select a table format. We are leaning
towards the PNLTC standard tables. We will be adjusting the width for maximum
usage. I'm even thinking of bolt on Plexi glass to 'protect' our layouts.

I've been reading with great interest in the discussions here.

Dean
--
TFM's Home Page: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm