 Trains / 5016
Re: New LEGO train realism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 19:01:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Kelly writes:
I don't know that you can strip away the trucks, trailers and paying for
stuff.

I was trying to get people to calm down from throwing out ideas like "well,
just buy a new trailer" or "just rent a Ryder, never mind that you use the
trailer for storage between shows", which are not particularly helpful
suggestions.

Fact of the matter is that 65" works better for the trailer.

Perhaps someone from GMLTC that is in the know can expound on why this is so.
It's been tossed out a few times but not very well explained that "65 works
better". Why, exactly?

It does seem like a peculiarly oddball size when considered in a vacuum.  I
even started thinking about what pattern of baseplates lay out to a 40x65 inch
module and I didn't come up with a neat and tidy layout that didn't use some
plates smaller than 32x32. But I didn't think about it very hard so I may have
missed it.

Even if 40 x 65 is chosen, I still think identifying a few interface points
with known track spacing and elevation is a good thing to do. They should be at
scenic boundaries too or it doesn't make muche sense to join someone else's
modules in. But that's a good idea anyway.

++Lar