 Trains / 4978
Re: infrared remote control of LEGO trains using NQC and RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 02:17:35 GMT

James Powell wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

IIRC, the big boy was longer than the triplex despite having fewer drivers • <not
that you are wrrrrrr, prolly a bad recall on my part>

According to:
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/misc/largest.html

You are _both_ wrong.

In order for me to be wrong in the way you allege, I would have had to
have alleged that the Triplex was the longest US steamer. I didn't. So
you're wrong about my being wrong. :-)

In order for me to be wrong in the way John alleged, a model of the
Triplex would have to scale correctly. That is, despite the real thing
being shorter than a Big Boy, when we model it, it's likely (BECAUSE it
has so many wheels, and because we don't have many choices for wheel
sizes) that a pure LEGO model of it will inevitably be longer than a
model of a Big Boy to the same "scale". So John's wrong about my being
wrong too.

Nice try, mortals.

N&W's Jawn Henry was the longest steam engine, at 161
feet or so :)

Just as a trivia point, it was the longest steamer, but not the longest
reciprocating, since it was a turbine.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!