 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 498
Re: infrared remote control of LEGO trains using NCQ and RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 19:08:58 GMT

Ben Fleskes wrote:

When I first bought my RCX some time ago, I dreamed of using the remote control
to drive the train.  Well I think I finally have it working.  The following
code works but has a problem which perhaps somebody can help me with.

The program looks for input from the message buttons on the infrared remote.
Message 1 decreases speed, Message 2 sets the speed to 0, and Message 3
increases the speeed.  On problem I have is that when I give it message 2, the
variable 'speed' goes to zero but the motor doesn't stop.  Anyone know what I'm
doing wrong?  Anyone have suggestions for refining the code.  Perhaps a better
speed control algorithem.  Thanks to Dave B(for NCQ) and Mark Overmars (for the
tutorial)

Thanks for any advice, hints, feedback or suggestions

Here is the code:  (please excuse me if it is not appropriate to post it here)

<...SNIP...>

I won't go into the code detail as other members have already corrected it.

I just wanted to say that if your interested in my RCX Train code, it's almost
ready. (Phase 1 anyway)

It has a few modes of use. MS Remote control. (Forward, stop, reverse) IT is field
programmed at startup for the mode. It has a track reader that reads the location
of the track (For the computer controlled mode) and it allows the user to change
the power levels (For load dependence). It also has a horn. GRIN
It has a special modified motor that picks up track power to the RCX and allows for
direct RCX control without sending the power out to the track.

It will have in future:
Auto train decoupler
Track speed reader (To automatically adjust power levels depending on load and
incline)
Automatic point switching from onboard the train.

Any anything else I think up. heh.

http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_rcxtrain.html for outdated pics of the train and
it's special motor.
http://www.akasa.bc.ca/vlc/vlc000304/00030415.jpg.html New pic of the train in