 Trains / 4958
Re: New LEGO train realism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 21:14:13 GMT

Is there a standard for the size of modules?  Good Question.

Different clubs use different sizes.  In PNLTC we have atleast four different
sizes.  I think width doesn't matter too much, but length does.  In generally
I fully support keeping everying in multiples of 128mm (~5.04") or put more
simply, the length of 16 stud long straight track.  Going more specific, I
suggest keeping things in multiples of 256mm (~10.08"), the length and width
of a 32 stud square baseplate.  [1]

In the PNLTC, the most commen module size is 96 x 192 studs (768mm x 1536mm,
~30.24" x 60.47")  This gives us room to display things and they are easy
enough to transport, move and get through doorways.  We can arrange them in a
variety of ways to do a different layout everytime we do a show.  But as I
mentioned earlier, we have atleast four different sizes, some smaller, some
much larger.  Having a veriety gives us a lot a flexability, but since almost
everysize is a multiple of 256mm (~10.08"), everything fits together nicely
and allows the track alignments to work out.

But along with size, there is also height.  We generally put our main layout
at 36" (~141mm) high. Then include smaller layouts at 30" (~118.1mm) high.
But we've been experimenting with several different options in this area.

In summary, regarding module size, I think it most important to stay with
128mm multiples for table sizes and standardize on a specific height for to
top of the display.  I think 36" (~141mm) is a good height for prebuilt
modules.

Prebuilt modules are kind of their own special thing.  My roundhouse/turntable
fall into that category, as do most of the GMLTC modules from what I've seen.
I think it is good to have a mix of prebuilt stuff and completely flexible
modules so that it is easy to add new material and different members
creations.  Not every member has 100,000+ bricks to work with.  But some of
the best built models come from members with smaller collections.  Having some
flexible (ie non prebuilt) modules available, allows an opportunity for those
creations to get shown.  And it also brings a different flavor to every
layout.  And for me, that is a big part of the magic of LEGO.  It's flexible
and you can do something different everytime.

Ben Fleskes
PNLTC

[1] Please execuse my precision, but rest assured, it's not nearly as close as
what LEGO operates at.

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

Next question: is there already a standard for Lego train modules, accepted by
most train clubs? Or is there no compability between any of them?

Regards,

Ben