 Trains / 5113
Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 15:13:14 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Today, when my green trolley rearended my red trolley I decided to
test my motors. I ranked them in order of speed. Then I thought that it
would be bad to have a fast motor paired with a slow motor.

I've been thinking the same thing. I almost always put two motors on each loco
and I'm beginning to suspect that some of my biggest mismatches, which I've
perhaps left that way for too long, have actually been causing damage to one
motor or the other.

How did you test your motors? It seems to me that it would be hard to do this
precisely enough to get good results when pairing up motors for the same unit

I'm not sure that this would cause that much problem unless the mismatch
was very bad, unless you're really stressing out the motors with long
trains (though I doubt we ever really get close to the load capacity of
the motors due to the couplers). The mismatch should just show up as
equivalent to a higher load on the motor (or higher load on the faster
and lighter load on the slower).

A way you could compare the speed of a pair of motors would be to put
them on oposite sides of a circle of track, and run for some time (say
until the faster motor is an extra track segment ahead). You can then
easily see how quickly the faster motor is gaining.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com