 Trains / 5122
Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 20:12:43 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes:
Mario Ferrari wrote:

Actually there's no problem at all. This topic has been deeply discussed in
the lugnet.robotics ng:

http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=9845 (some train specific examples in this
message)
http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=9899
http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=9707

I looked at the first one. I need to do some digging but I seem to remember a
problem in using multiple units together. It's hazy to me, but it revolves
around gearing. I seem to recally that locos that are geared differently could
not be MUed together because of the speed difference at the same throttle
setting.

Thanks for pointing to some discussionsby knowledgeable people. I
intuitively felt there wasn't a problem, but don't have the analog
electrical knowledge to describe exactly how it isn't a problem.

With a train motor (LEGO or real) there's another factor which will help
balance extremely imbalanced motors, wheel slip (though I expect that
would be a fairly small factor, it will absorb at least some of the
difference since the real world isn't ideal).

Wheel slip is a *bad thing* if you have wheels with rubber tyres, which LEGO
uses. excess slip causes tyre heating and the rubber eventually perishes, or
deforms enough to come off.

I'm not sure I'd just dismiss this just yet. But I may just be paranoid.

That could be a problem, but I wouldn't expect that much wheel slippage
(I'd make a SWAG that the power difference which is taken up by wheel
slippage would be 5% or less of the total power difference). I'd also
wonder how it would compare to the wheel slippage in curves (I know
someone mentioned that the profile of prototype wheels results in a
rotation correction for the two wheels on an axle, but does this
actually work for LEGO train motors).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com