 Trains / 5148
Re: matching motor speeds on mutli-motor trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:30:23 GMT

OK, I read the articles and basically there is not problem running two motors
together. But if a new motor is run with an old motor the new motor will wear
out faster than if it were run with a second new motor. So, if you want all
your engines to run at similar speeds pair up the slowest motors with the
fastest motors; this will give the slow motors a break while working the fast
motors a bit harder. If you want to keep your fast motors running fast for a
little while longer pair them up with other fast motors; this will make certain
that one motor is not carrying an disproportionate share of the load.

Chris

Mario Ferrari wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Today, when my green trolley rearended my red trolley I decided to
test my motors. I ranked them in order of speed. Then I thought that it
would be bad to have a fast motor paired with a slow motor.

I've been thinking the same thing. I almost always put two motors on each • loco
and I'm beginning to suspect that some of my biggest mismatches, which • I've
perhaps left that way for too long, have actually been causing damage to • one
motor or the other.

Actually there's no problem at all. This topic has been deeply discussed in
the lugnet.robotics ng:

http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=9845 (some train specific examples in this
message)
http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=9899