 Trains / 5149
Re: New German Loco: Green DB139 and more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:45:46 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
This is where 8-wide crowd wins out again.

Commenting on your stud forward nose. I think it looks better than 2x2 1/4 • curve
(aka macaroni bricks?) bricks becase there are no gaps in your design. A • macaroni
brick desing would have unsightly blemishes. Imagine letting a train rust so
badly that there are holes in it!

Chris

Also, at six-wide with macaroni's, you can't mount "lights" and have two stud
spacing between left and right "lights"...unless you stick the lights farther
out in front than the macaroni's.

I like no gaps.  However, I fault my design on the white stripe around the
front corners.  The use of square corner tiles leaves a "notch" in the body
work.  That's a tad unsightly, I think.  But, I live with it.

This harks to one of my favorite attributes concerning modeling and "sculpting"
with the LEGO "brick" medium:
You have a limited amount of element types with which you can configure and
assemble in many ways to attempt to approximate as close as you can what your
mind imagines...or tries to copy from "real-life".

later,
James Mathis

James Mathis wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

Hi James,

again a very cool model! One could only wish Lego had better windows for • the
train front. (Maybe a kind of train windows in 3x1x2?)

Ben

Very true.  I'm not completely satisfied with the windscreen.
I have considered using older style 1x2x2 house windows in gray from my 7740
locomotive.  I'd have to figure out a way to set them at a slight angle and
figure out a way to flank either side with green bricks.

The next closest standard LEGO window element that I'd try to use would be • the
exclusive black-framed windows from the yellow/black locomotive in the 9volt
Freight Rail Runner train set.  But, still, that doesn't do it exactly • right,
either.

later,
James Mathis