 Off-Topic / Debate / *12731 (-100)
  A Measured Response (was re: LP statement on terrorist attacks)

Hey: I'll give the LP statement this much (and beyond this I just don't care what else they said) -- it suggests a course of action that is a hell of a lot more reasonable than what many here have been offering up of late. It suggests we make a very (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Jerry Falwell

Jerry Falwell is one of the biggest loads on two feet, I'm not surprised by anything that ignoramous says. He's no moral or spiritual leader, just another slimeball misrepresenting Christianity. Dan (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Prayer on this National Day of Prayer

(...) Designed my great architects,engineers(many who are AFOL's) and BUILT by skilled tradesmen/women. (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Jerry Falwell blames feminists, gays, lesbians, ACLU, others...

These are very hateful sttements by someone so many people look up to for prayer. In my opinion, he is no worse than other hateful extremests. -- On the broadcast of the Christian television program "The 700 Club," Falwell made the following (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: We don't live in America, America lives in US!

Shalom, Shiri. Your friend is indeed very smart and I commend her for expressing such heartfelt and inspiring thoughts. I won't rehash my feelings regarding Israel, but in response to your friend's comment about some Jewish woman saying "We might (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Mercy? (Was Re: My Prayer on this National Day of Prayer)

(...) I'm wondering how people can maintain their faith in the face of what has just happened. If you believe God to be all-good and all-powerful, then explain to me how this kind of horrible thing is allowed to happen. And don't give me that "works (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Prayer on this National Day of Prayer

Without commenting on whether god had anything to do with this or not... (...) This particular one is noteworthy... you can see gods hand in it if you like, it is said he moves in mysterious ways, but the reason these towers didn't collapse right (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Prayer on this National Day of Prayer

(...) It's not my wish to deconstruct anyone's religion at a time like this, but I must point out that all of the evidence you cite above would likewise have been true even if He were not looking out for the Good Ol' US of A. For many, it is (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LP statement on terrorist attacks

(...) I don't see how you can possibly say that. It's a statement of position and a request to the membership to take certain actions. Are you saying that if I went to the DNC website I wouldn't see a similar statement? I did, and there is (URL) you (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Prayer on this National Day of Prayer

(...) Amen! As you say, many are wondering where God is right now, or why He let this happen. I'd like to say to them that He's very much present and hard at work. We see it reflected all over: - The government could be in much worse shape. The (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LP statement on terrorist attacks

(...) Larry, give me a break. You're much more intelligent that you are trying to act here. The LP is taking political advantage of the current crises to promote themselves. If that's not pandering, then I don't know what is. (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Apparently (at least as CNN relates) they're still holding one, the guy with the pilot ID. (...) Isn't there another person, a brother, who is stating that the person suspected by the FBI of flying one of the planes in fact died in an air (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  My Prayer on this National Day of Prayer

To my friends at LUGNET, The United States, and the rest of the world by way of sympathy, have suffered greatly this week. Here in our own little microcosm of the world, we have shared news of tradgedy and sorrow, stories of hope and survival, and (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  No more donated blood or goods needed just now

From the FEMA site: (URL) state of New York has reported that there is no additional need for volunteers or donated goods for the World Trade Center response. In addition to the federal, state and local government resources being deployed to the (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  From the Washington Post

This article has some interesting info about the CIA.. further down it speculates about how a military operation might unfold. (URL) guess what bothers me (and why I decided to post the link) is that it seems that the operation will start with (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: spammers

(...) Yesterday, the L.A. County police also put out a bulletin to watch out for bogus soliciters cashing in by supposedly going around for donations to help WTC victims. It wasn't clear whether there had been a report of this actually happening but (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) A report on NPR this morning indicates that the FBI is now denying that there was any such group. The report of a single individual attempting to board a plane with a fake pilot's ID in New York has not yet been contradicted, but I'll wait for (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Please make a donation via Paypal to the Red Cross!

(...) My company is also trying to help the Red Cross. We're printing and selling t- shirts (bumper stickers are in the works) with an image that we've created. Net proceeds will go to the Red Cross. Response has been absolutely overwhelming. The (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: The killing needs to stop.

(...) To add to this, I listened to an uplifting editorial yesterday evening on NPR. I believe it was from a mother of a WTC victim. Basically, it was an appeal to our government not to kill innocent people in retaliation for the attack. Dan (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  spammers

One of my email accounts is pretty clogged with spam. In part that is its function... to be a place where spam goes so I don't get it elsewhere. Among the usual detrius (enlargment of organs or fortunes, creams, refinancing schemes, credit cleansing (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Yes. Peace. ++Lar (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) Better or worse I will not comment on. I think your example is inapplicable to this situation, but I did want to point out that american law, at any rate, distinguishes between these cases... driving drunk and killing someone is negligent (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Please make a donation via Paypal to the Red Cross!

Having been stuck so full of needles a few weeks ago (8 times in the course of one day, and a couple more times last week - I looked like a drug addict) I just couldn't bring myself to give blood from the far coast, so I donated $100 to the Red (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: War

Ross, your stance here completely baffles me. You're nitpicking against taking action but you (and Jason) haven't proposed any concrete plan of your own other than (paraphrasing and guessing) "right all the injustice in the world everywhere and the (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The killing needs to stop.

Amongst the dozens of messages here I would like to offer my support for & bring attention to this message posted by Richard Marchetti: richard marchetti <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message news:GJMBso.CFI@lugnet.com... <snipped talk about (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Well, maybe it's time to correct that. Chris (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Why? Power units are the concern, not nations. These are new times and governments will become less important as other power structures evolve. I think you're operating in the old paradigm. Chris (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: In light of Tuesday's events (was Re: Are we doing the right thing?)

(...) Fair enough. I'll try not to be testy...things have been rough and I guess I'd rather this conversation have waited a week, but here we are. (...) Last week was a long time ago. (...) watching (...) Exhibit A and a half - On Thursday, 6 Sep (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Please make a donation via Paypal to the Red Cross!

I am proud to say that I have made my donation. I challange all those up to it, to do the same or similar! Mel I have posted this to the area's that seem to be used the most at this particular time. (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: War

(...) I have not read all of the things said, in all of the hundreds of posts here, so forgive me there... I think though that these people who fear they are about to be attacked will try and evacuate themselves to what they may think could be a (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Then let me clarify the question: Do you identify no difference between 1) Murdering innocent civilians aboard a civilian jet and in civilian buildings and 2) The death of civilians resulting from their proximity to known military targets If (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Please make a donation via Paypal to the Red Cross!

I am sure that most of us received the following message from Paypal If possible, please make a donation, even the smallest amounts count. There will always be someone in need who could use everthing possible right now. I am just about to donate (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general)

  Re: We don't live in America, America lives in US!

USA - please DO NOT revange ! No war ! In this case Europe will be NOT with you. Thanks. (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: We don't live in America, America lives in US!

<snip> I had a smile on my face when I finished reading this. Then I emailed the link to a good friend of mine, Mimi, and she wasn't so happy about it. When I read her response I understood why. She is one smart girl (and I'm being objective here). (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Response to Misinformation (Some other perspectives on the tragedy)

(...) <snipped your reply to Richard> Regardless, we can all agree that killing the innocent for the sins of the leadership is wrong. Our attackers demonized Americans and committed a brutal criminal act that shattered the lives of many innocent (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) <snipped> It would take too long to respond to every item in your post so let me just say that we agree killing innocent people is wrong. Also, we can agree that demonizing and making generic assumptions about another culture is wrong. (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: We don't live in America, America lives in US!

"Matthew Gerber" <matthew@digitaliris.com> wrote in message news:GJMC0I.Cz8@lugnet.com... (...) Eh Mathew I am sorry, OK? I know you are hurting. It was insensitive of me to pick on what you posted. I am sure that we have much in common, and (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GJMFCE.LKt@lugnet.com... (...) Larry. Peace. We are on the same side. I admitted I was wrong to flame Greg, he has admitted he might have worded his post better. It is all to easy, (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

Well, if anyone had any doubts that our anonymous foe is prepared for a long, drawn-out struggle, those should be laid to rest by now. Details aren't all in, but it appears those who didn't get a chance to carry out their "missions" on Tuesday (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Terrorist Attacks: Why and What Now?

Hello everybody, let me express my deepest sympathy with the victims of the terrorist attack as well as their families and friends. I hope no one of the LUGNET community was affected, directly or indirectly. When I was watching TV the evening after (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Response to Misinformation (Some other perspectives on the tragedy)

This is a response to random acts of absolute disinformation perpetrated by many in the discussion of Arab terrorism, of what our response should be, and the Palestinian plight - and whatever else spues forth from my inability to contain myself any (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) War is a terrible thing and no one should jump on the war bandwagon without a very good reason and only after he has considered all the possible alternatives. (...) Pick a war in history in which you think the winning side was right to go to (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) murder (...) cross (...) Not the same thing at all. Something closer would be if you buy a baseball bat...and kill me with it you are no more guilty than if you take that same bat and keep swinging it at a pile of baseballs when you know (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Peace! (was Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy)

(...) Good. We've done enough of that already, and frankly I'm tired of it. (...) Agreed. Security is a large issue here. My brother-in-law work for Delta Airlines and I could tell you some amazing stries about lax security, but I don't see any (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) with (...) I realise I've snipped a lot of stuff and I will get back to it later, but I think here lies the fundamental difference in our opinions. The answer is no, I identify no difference between the deliberate murder of innocent civilians (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) Jeez, you're willing to go a long way for the sake of equivocation. If they are being used as human shields, then the people using them as shields are responsible for their deaths. So, no--it's not okay to murder them, and the people using (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) NP. I did come off harshly, so that is understandable. (...) 'we'll take you down permanently' means that we'll go to any lengths to protect our freedoms, even killing terrorists if it comes down to it. Personally, I feel that this is a case (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) I would call it self-evident, though I will attempt to construct a syllogism for you. In the meantime, I likewise would ask you for your refutation of my assertion. (...) Do (...) Well, now you're quibbling. Whether he actually leaves the (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) < (...) So that makes it OK to murder them? (...) Weren't several thousand (est) innocent Americans just murdered for the pursuit of a (as yet unknown) goal? ROSCO (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) Very true. The American public certainly didn't wan war on September 10th. Diabolic acts of wanton destruction and the tragic sacrifce of thousands of innocents has changed our collective mind. 92% of the American public support the idea of (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) Actually, it's a combination of the two, but I won't split hairs on this one. (...) That were being used as human shields and no, it doesn't sound familiar. Saddam kept hiding. QWB was quite public about where he's been. GWB wasn't anywhere (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) and (...) According to whom? (...) In fact it's unlikely bin Laden actually leaves his "protective apron" - he probably delegates any international tasks to others. And how is applying military force to the people of Afghanistan, many of whom (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) I do not believe that, Dave! (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Cuba

(...) You find it funny that someone can admit they are wrong about something without being repeatedly prodded? (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Cuba

I have been meaning to come back to this for some time (...) I am going to differ with you on this point. The Warsaw Pact nations, as far as I am concerned, during the period up until about 1989 or so, were so effectively under the control of the (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) In fact, it does. State-provided sanctuary for a terrorist, conspirator, and murderer, is de facto identical to committing terrorism, conspiracy, and murder. Is it acceptable to you that bin Laden and his followers commit whatever acts they (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: He didn't make a single racist comment..

(...) Yes, thanks for that clarification. I stand by my assertion though that Greg got a bit of a raw deal on this, though, especially in some of the initial comments made. Calling it jingoistic was a bit over the top, I thought. (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LP statement on terrorist attacks

(...) Yes, they are saying nothing new, in that the LP has been calling for us to have less entanglements and less alliances, and less meddling in the internal affairs of other countries. Yes, they are saying nothing new, in that they have been (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: In light of Tuesday's events (was Re: Are we doing the right thing?)

Chris, I am not trying to claim that you are saying things that you haven't said. Rather, I am trying to reflect back to you the conclusions and philosophy that you have conveyed in your posts, and also to apply them to the very real tragedy at the (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LP statement on terrorist attacks

(...) Yep folks, the LP has joined the rest of the political parties - they are saying what many have already said before them, they add nothing new or even anything displaying any great intelligence. Yes, they are pandering to the people. Ho hum. (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) deal (...) I agree, but I'm probably not thinking about the same problem as you are. The problem in Gaza is a problem of preceived land ownership, not terrorism. (...) army (...) and (...) And murdered many innocent Iraqis in the process. (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) and _have_actually_ acted so in the past is the same as killing someone just because they prey/act differently? Not in my mind. (...) Yes, I put words in Davids mouth, it was way over the top. I apologise. (...) somehow, would you not think (...) (23 years ago, 14-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) so. This attitude *will* result in escalation of violence and the deaths of more innocent people. (...) They were more likely people who had been taught to see Americans as the ultimate enemy. Murderous they may have been, but they weren't (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  LP statement on terrorist attacks

The following is a statement from the US LP, received on my mailing list. I know I've been foaming a bit but I think it is worth publishing here (1) note particularly that it seems to be in tune with what a lot of people are saying: - we need a (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) I get that. I wonder how willing they are for their friends and family to die as a result of their despicable acts? (...) I don't care about understanding them. I care about making the people who train them, the people who house them, the (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) "SANCTUARY: place of safety for a fugitive". Yes, they are providing sanctuary. My point is that that in itself does not make them a legitimate target. The Afghan government do not need to provide anything material for bin Laden; he has enough (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) I rarely agree with Larry a whole lot, but my reactions are almost 100% the same. The first response to terrorists is to refuse to be terrified. The second response is to destroy their ability to terrorize. If someone is pointing a gun at me, (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) And the Barbary Pirates did not represent any particular country but the US nevertheless declared war on them and dealt with them, quite effectively. If we should decide to make the symbolic act of declaring war on terrorism, it will be the (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) LW it's with regard to some old threads, some things were said by you there that I did fundamentally disagree with. If I get time I will go back and respond in a bit more detail. Also you do have a tendency to view Britain as above reproach (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Good (!) editorial from Canada PLEASE READ (done)

(...) (snipped) (...) Amazing! I thought by that time (1973) knowledge of history was more widespread... the commentator should have known that NOONE might have helped back in 1906 (or the Chicago Fire for that matter, which I believe was around the (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.pt, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: We don't live in America, America lives in US!

(...) Nope...don't agree...I liked the message the person was getting across...I didn't want to share it wih the debators...I would consider that a useless action in most cases...I wanted to share it with the populace of LUGNET who would appreciate (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Perhaps you'd care to forget. That's the coward's way. I prefer to remember. Why do we have an Arizona memorial? (...) I always have and always will. It pleases me now to note that you didn't answer the questions. (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rooting out nests of snakes and destroying them

(...) Who exactly is saying that? (...) Yes, we should seriously address our meddling and intervention and supporting the wrong sides (or any side of a no good guy conflict). But not now. Now is not the time. Now is the time for disease treatment. (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Declarations of war come from nations, not from individuals. His declaration of war against the US was his own posturing. He does not represent his country, as the actions of the IRA do not represent theirs. (...) And this is exactly my point. (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: We don't live in America, America lives in US!

(...) Geez, I hate to play cop here, but the whole thing belongs in off-topic.debate starting with the first posting. Is it just me Matthew, or do you keep asking people to not debate things and then debating them yourself? I think the least that (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rooting out nests of snakes and destroying them

(...) Acknowledging that you don't have the answer is a start. Acknowledging that your ideology may not be the only right one is the next step. Demonstrating the willingness to understand someone else's position follows that. Then you might just (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) You're gerrymandering the facts, either deliberately or otherwise. The attack on US soil was itself an act or war, and if bin Laden is indeed responsible, he himself declared war on the US long ago. If the US responds to his declaration by (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) D0 you actually have a plan, a suggested approach? I must have missed it. Or are you just spewing hate, as usual? ++Lar (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) Okay. But what part of the fact that they are willing to die for their cause didn't you get? Did you have some other worse punishment in mind? Tuesday's events were not brought on by a few moments passion -- but rather by the dreadful (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Bin Laden was trained by the CIA to fight the Soviets. At the time, he probably thought the USA was supporting his ideology, rather than simply persuing its own anti-communist one. USA suport then rapidly disappeared. He was then witness to (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: We don't live in America, America lives in US!

(...) Bull. You are trolling for debates...and if you want to debate 200 year old history and claim correlation to the events of 9/11, fine...you'll get your wish... (This'll likely get into jingoistic retoric according to most...so what? I'm quite (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Peace! (was Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy)

Dave: I think some of you may be confusing "give peace a chance" with doing absolutely nothing and taking it on the chin. I am not advocating that at all. I absolutely think it's time we take a long hard look at the air transportation industry and (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) I agree that terrorists are made, but what exactly makes them? You claim they have perceived injustices against them. I keep hearing them referring to us as devils. We buy their products, offer aid, preach peace and still find terrorists (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GJM51s.HFz@lugnet.com... (...) Larry, where do you fundamentally disagree with me on many levels? When have we had disagreements? I hope you were not reading my earlier reply as my (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) Obviously... (...) Much of this sounds like jibber jabber. As for preparing out children for future attacks I think we need to prepare them for the fact that this is a reality in the world and we are going to fight it. That means more people (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) Same here, Dan. As a student of history, I've always said two things-History always repeats itself and a limited war is a lost cause. Why is Israel having problems with terrorist activities? Because they won't deal with the problem. The keep (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) I'll admit it. I was tired. I'll assume that it was close to 3am when I posted it. I know it was later than 10pm. And by 'Take them all down', I am referring to terrorists, not Muslims. (...) My solution is no more radical then that which was (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) Let's see...1993-attempted bombing of WTC. Our Response: give peace a chance. 1999-twin bombing of US Embassys in Africs Our response: give peace a chance. 2000-The wanton destruction of the USS Cole Our Response: give peace a chance. (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) Nope. Just saying what I feel right now. Absurd is hijacking jets with the intent to run them into office buildings. My response is certainly not absurd in light of this act. (...) Not at all. It's more like 'no misguided Aryans=no Aryan (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) Because those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. thanks, James (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) you can have you opinion, I can have mine. (...) and that's a terrible thing. However, I hate to ask, why were women and children in a terrorist command post? The only reason I can think of is that the terrorists are trying to hide behind a (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) I think it's a day all Americans would like to forget, why keep a grim reminder? (...) It's your soul, do as you please. (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rooting out nests of snakes and destroying them

(...) I know what you're saying but I find little comfort in our government's statements, filled with machismo and bravado, yet thin on addressing the core of the issue. We'll send an even worse signal by resorting to war and saying "America will do (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rooting out nests of snakes and destroying them

(...) I understand. All I can say is there is a cycle of violence between the Israelis and Palestinians and it is false to assume that it stems solely from violent acts on the part of the Palestinians. Israel is the invader and occupier, that's just (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) Well they need to be more limited. (...) ...and kill some women and children (...) So you think South Africa should have murdered the ANC, not do a deal with them? (...) Well what good is your inpute? Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Manic Ramblings-World Altering Events Through Depression's Eyes

Hi Eric, Thanks for taking time to view my ramblings. I, too, felt this past weekend is one of the most memorable of my life due to the connections that were made. Rarely in our lives do we meet people who are so attuned to who we are and what we (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy

(...) We do not share the same understanding of the term "martyr". (...) Then what? Will the deaths continue in Iraq and Israel? Will globalisation continue to exploit those in the developing world? Should we nurture despair? Should we live in fear? (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

I haven't seen the auction in question. (...) OK, I think excessive profiteering is a bit despicable, yes. But ponder this. I would like to have a small piece of the WTC because I want a tangible reminder of this tragedy, something to spark (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sorting Air Safety (Re: Rooting out nests of snakes and destroying them)

(...) In fact he did. Whether air traffic control is public or private has zero bearing on how secure the system is unless you want to argue that private is more likely to be more secure. (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rooting out nests of snakes and destroying them

(...) afaik (don't have the time to look up a reference), Sharon was eventually aquitted of this charge... (...) very good - they should have started a long time ago. What they are doing is killing know terrorists, either after or (hopefully) before (...) (23 years ago, 13-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact