 Off-Topic / Debate / 12680
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 03:03:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason J. Railton writes:

"SANCTUARY: place of safety for a fugitive".  Yes, they are providing
sanctuary.  My point is that that in itself does not make them a legitimate
target.

In fact, it does.  State-provided sanctuary for a terrorist, conspirator, • and
murderer, is de facto identical to committing terrorism, conspiracy, and
murder.

According to whom?

Is it acceptable to you that bin Laden and his followers commit
whatever acts they please and then "tag home" by running to the protective
apron of Afghanistan?  What if Afghanistan should refuse to extradite him?  Do
we just say, "oh well, thanks anyway"?

In fact it's unlikely bin Laden actually leaves his "protective apron" - he
probably delegates any international tasks to others.

And how is applying military force to the people of Afghanistan, many of whom
don't follow the Taliban regime, gonna provide any result. It's likely to kill
a lot of innocent people, and unlikely to cause any major harm to bin Laden.
And what if you later find out that bin Laden *wasn't* the perpetrator?

And what if what they want is for you to leave them alone - to not actually
depose their government and plunge them into civil war?  To not ride
rough-shod over what they truly believe in?

They're undergoing civil war already, and if what they believe in is the
wholesale slaughter of innocent civilians by a cowardly aggressor, then I say
that they should be dealt with as severely and thoroughly as possible.  If • they
want to be left alone while simultaneously harboring a mass murderer, too bad
for them.  They've made their alliances--let them enjoy the consequences.

Again, you're lumping the whole Afghan population together here, and I very
much doubt that they all support bin Laden, in fact I'd be surprised if more
than a small minority even knows he's there. If it's OK to let these innocent
people "enjoy the consequences", then why are you so angry that innocent
Americans just "enjoyed the consequences" of America's alliances?

I realise some people will think I'm heartless making such comments, but that's
just how I feel about Dave's comments.

ROSCO