 Off-Topic / Debate / 12710
Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 14:33:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

Or maybe a better example would be if you continually drive drunk down your
street at 3:30 in the afternoon (I'm making the assumption here that, like
Australia, that's about the time kids get home from school).

Would it be accidental when you hit one of the kids? Would it be any better
than killing me with the baseball bat? I say no.

Better or worse I will not comment on. I think your example is inapplicable
to this situation, but I did want to point out that american law, at any
rate, distinguishes between these cases... driving drunk and killing someone
is negligent homicide, and killing someone deliberately is murder one.
Neither is "acceptable" but they ARE different.