 Off-Topic / Debate / 12601
Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 12:55:57 GMT

Erik writes:
Take them all down.

I have to think that you are tired, emotionally distraught, and simply not
thinking straight -- because otherwise that is the scariest foreign policy I
have ever seen publically expressed.

You know, I am not at all happy about what has happened.  I know people who
live and work near the World Trade Center.  We feared for their lives (they
are okay, BTW). Some of my people over here in CA were in a kind of shock
all day Tuesday -- just sort of moving about frantically, blubbering
sporadically, what have you.  I know that many people are frightened, angry,
and otherwise emotionally spent.  Still, I can't really think of anything
that justifies your stated solution to the problem.  Your solution frightens
me more than the problem itself...

You aren't even advocating the ancient "an eye for an eye" -- your
formulation is "an eye as a preemptory strike!"  I am chilled.  That is NOT
the american way that I know...

Please realize that there must be a thousand ways we can fix what is wrong
in the world without violence.  We can talk, negotiate, bargain, enact
sanctions, engage in trade, etc. -- a thousand things we can do before
lifting up a sword. If others cannot do so, then WE must be a dynamic enough
presence in the world to stop the vicious cycle of violence begetting violence.

I know you must be hurting, and I am sorry for it. Can you transform your
anger into a more useful energy?  I am sure you are a good person at heart.
I know that you are expressing yourself from a place of hurting.

<3

-- Hop-frog

BTW, I am not suggesting we don't do things to further protect ourselves
from future attacks.  I am not opposed to bringing those responsible to
justice (I presume through use of conspiracy laws -- maybe even through a
concise military action elsewhere).  A blanket attack against all presumed
threats is just not the way to move forward...