 Off-Topic / Debate / 12756
Re: Response to Misinformation (Some other perspectives on the tragedy)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 00:49:02 GMT

Our Constitution doesn't say much as regards foriegn policy, and I for one
deny that military strength may be used abroad according to it.  We should
defend our borders, that's about it.

The declaration of war on the  Barbary Pirates seems to have been
constitutional... it's the closest analogue to a declaration of war on
"terrorists", I'd say. Our borders were attacked and in this day and age
that may require force projection far far away from the actual edge of our
soverignity, unfortunately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Section 8.
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and
Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general
Welfare of the United States;
<snip>
To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules
concerning Captures on Land and Water;

HERE is an interesting clause... Suppose for example that the preponderance
of evidence pointed to Saddam as a co-conspirator. Could we grant a Letter
of Marque to some giant corporation (say, ExxonMobil) and let THEM take him
out in exchange for getting to keep all the oil?

Before everyone foams, that's not exactly a serious suggestion. Sort of not
serious anyway.

++Lar