 Off-Topic / Debate / 12686
Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 03:42:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

And murdered many innocent Iraqis in the process. Sound familiar?

That were being used as human shields

So that makes it OK to murder them?

  Jeez, you're willing to go a long way for the sake of equivocation.  If they
are being used as human shields, then the people using them as shields are
responsible for their deaths.  So, no--it's not okay to murder them, and the
people using them as shields are the murderers.

and no, it doesn't sound familiar.

Weren't several thousand (est) innocent Americans just murdered for the • pursuit
of a (as yet unknown) goal?

  First of all, this is called argument from ignorance, as I'm sure you're
aware, and it states (falaciously) that because we do not know the reason for
X, we can assume that any reason for X is equally likely or valuable.
  Second of all, you are yet again equating--incorrectly--the deliberate murder
of innocent civilians with the accidental death of civilians near military
targets.  You are in effect saying that if I buy a baseball bat and drive cross
country and kill you with it, I am no more guilty of murder than if I
accidently knocked a flower pot off a roof and it landed on your head, killing
you.  Do you live your life this way?

     Dave!