 Off-Topic / Debate / 12687
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 03:52:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

If it's OK to let these innocent
people "enjoy the consequences", then why are you so angry that innocent
Americans just "enjoyed the consequences" of America's alliances?

Equivocation, once again.  Do you identify no difference between the
deliberate murder of innocent civilians in civilian aircraft and buildings • with
the accidental deaths of those near military targets?

I realise I've snipped a lot of stuff and I will get back to it later, but I
think here lies the fundamental difference in our opinions.

The answer is no, I identify no difference between the deliberate murder of
innocent civilians in civilian aircraft and buildings with the "accidental"
deaths of those near military targets, because it's not accidental. The warring
parties *know* they're going to kill a number of innocent civilians (in both
examples), but are prepared to put up with that in order to acheive their goal.

I realise some people will think I'm heartless making such comments, but
that's just how I feel about Dave's comments.

I don't think you're heartless; I just think you're engaged in deliberate • and
selective misreading--a well-established form of literary analysis but not
really useful in the current debate.

In fact, it's not literary analysis at all - it's emotional response to ideas
which I find unpalatable.

ROSCO