 Off-Topic / Debate / 12701
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:51:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

I identify no difference between the deliberate murder of
innocent civilians in civilian aircraft and buildings with the "accidental"
deaths of those near military targets, because it's not accidental. The
warring parties *know* they're going to kill a number of innocent civilians
(in both examples), but are prepared to put up with that in order to acheive
their goal.

  Then let me clarify the question:  Do you identify no difference between

    1) Murdering innocent civilians aboard a civilian jet and in
       civilian buildings

  and

    2) The death of civilians resulting from their proximity to known
       military targets

  If so, then you are clearly stating that intention is irrelevant, and you
invalidate your own "pile of baseballs" analogy.
  Civilian deaths during military action, unless those civilians are
deliberately targeted, are indeed accidents.  Unfortunate, yes, but
accidents nonetheless.  If, however, those civilians are deliberately
targeted, then it is murder, as was the case on Tuesday.

     Dave!