 Off-Topic / Debate / 12667
Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:53:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Stanley writes:
The limiting of the response limits the cost of committing these acts
acceptable.  Make the cost unacceptable, and the people willing to commit
them will decrease, either through their own choices, or by the choices of
their neighbors who don't feel so good about hiding them anymore.

Okay.  But what part of the fact that they are willing to die for their
cause didn't you get?  Did you have some other worse punishment in mind?

I get that.  I wonder how willing they are for their friends and family to
die as a result of their despicable acts?

Tuesday's events were not brought on by a few moments passion -- but rather
by the dreadful premeditation of weeks, perhaps months.  What kind of person
could do this kind of thing?  Someone without hope.  Someone who thinks
their back is against the wall.  Someone who feels loveless.  Someone
absolutely willing to die for the sake of the others around them. Someone
willing to make such a sacrifice even if it all comes to nothing.  Someone
who will exchange their life for the sake of making the gesture, or even
just trying to do so. And this someone was not alone, they were legion. The
acts of Tuesday were not committed by a single deranged madman, they were
executed in concert by a class of persons somewhere in the world -- and are
they ever pissed off!  Mind you, I am not justifying them -- I am trying to
understand them.  I am trying to think of what it would take to make me want
to do the same things...

I don't care about understanding them.  I care about making the people who
train them, the people who house them, the people who fund them understand
that they can be made to suffer horrible consequences if they continue to do so.

We can try to prevent attacks on our end and maybe, if the airlines and the
FAA get off their butts and implement some kind of precautions instead of
whining about inconvenience and passenger uproar (which all ultimately
amounts to whining about potential lost profits).

But we have to take this fight to the governments and groups that support
this activity.  If it takes turning a few cities into parking lots to
convince states that they ought not to do this, so be it.

These hideous acts were committed by your brothers and my sisters. And if
they are willing to die for their cause, I think it's only humane to assume
they have a reason for doing so.

Screw that.  They are not my brothers and sisters.  I don't give a **** what
their reasons were.  They were murderous subhuman monsters and to even
suggest that they deserve to be understood is insane.