 Off-Topic / Debate / 12668
12667  |  12669
Subject:
LP statement on terrorist attacks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 23:16:30 GMT

The following is a statement from the US LP, received on my mailing list. I
know I've been foaming a bit but I think it is worth publishing here (1)
note particularly that it seems to be in tune with what a lot of people are
saying:

- we need a careful response, but a response IS needed, else we lost.
- we need to do what we can to help locally
- we need not to lash out at people of particular ethnicities or beliefs
just because they are a particular belief

and a few things that not everyone is in tune with
- we need less alliance and less meddling in foreign affairs.
- we cannot restrict individual liberty in trade for freedom or we will lose
both

1 - whether people baselessly charge this as being spam, (it was sent to us
only, I chose to repost it) and whether people baselessly charge this as the
LP capitalising on this tragedy (they're not, just making position clear) or
not.

- start statement -

Libertarian Party expresses "profound sorrow, grief
for tragic loss of life" in terror attack

Statement by Chairman James W. Lark in response
to September 11 terrorist attacks:

WASHINGTON, DC -- On behalf of the Libertarian Party, I wish to express
our profound sorrow and grief for the tragic loss of life and suffering
caused by yesterday's terrorist attacks. Our hearts go out to the
victims and their grieving families and friends. Nothing we say can
ease the devastation and sense of loss they feel -- and that every
other American certainly shares -- but we stand with them in mourning
the loss of friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, loved ones, and
fellow citizens.

The Libertarian Party condemns the vicious and barbaric attacks on the
World Trade Center and the Pentagon. There is no excuse for such savage
acts. No legitimate political or religious ideology can justify the
murder of thousands of innocent people. These actions, and the
revulsion they cause to all decent people around the world, demonstrate
in the starkest way possible that the initiation of force is never an
appropriate way to settle political or social differences. The result
of such violence is more hatred, more grieving relatives and friends,
more tombstones -- and, ultimately, more violence. Libertarians
unequivocally reject the initiation of force as a solution to the
disagreements between people and between governments.

The Libertarian Party calls for justice to be meted out to the
terrorists responsible for the attacks. However, we encourage the
United States government to be sure that any response is appropriate
and measured. Action should not be taken that will cause innocent
people in other countries to be killed because of the actions of
terrorists. Such a response would only continue the cycle of violence
and revenge.

The Libertarian Party calls on all Libertarians to aid our fellow
Americans who have suffered from this horrible tragedy: Donate blood
for the victims fighting for their lives in hospitals in New York and
Washington, DC. Contribute to the charities that will assist the
families and relatives. If you live near where the attacks took place,
volunteer to assist in rescue or recovery efforts, as appropriate. And
if you know any of the victims' families, offer solace and support in
any way you can. Now is a time for all Libertarians to stand together
to help those who are suffering.

The Libertarian Party calls on all Americans to act with tolerance and
kindness in the days to follow. A natural reaction after such a tragedy
is to find a scapegoat -- to blame Arab-Americans, or individuals who
practice the Islamic faith, or other people who are in some way
different. We must rise above that impulse. If Americans turn down a
path of hatred and intolerance, then the terrorists will have won.

That's not the only way terrorists can win. In the past, some have
responded to terrorism with proposals to restrict the civil liberties
of Americans. We must resist that tendency. The fundamental rights that
define the very essence of America should not be destroyed in an effort
to deal with terrorism or any other problem. Citizens must remain ever
vigilant that terrorists don't win by turning America into the kind of
nation where our cherished freedoms are only a fading memory.

Finally, the Libertarian Party hopes these attacks will elicit a
thoughtful national discussion about how we can prevent similar
tragedies in the future. Of course, there is no way to guarantee that
evil will not strike again. However, a foreign policy that limits our
intervention in the affairs and quarrels of other nations is a foreign
policy that will reduce the chance that terrorists will want to strike
at America. Peace and free trade with all nations, and entangling
alliances with none, is a time-honored prescription for an America that
is at peace with the world, and for a nation that has little to fear
from the savage and bloodthirsty actions of terrorists.

Again, our hearts go out to the thousands of Americans who suffered a
loss during the terrible events of September 11, 2001. It is a tragic
day that will live in our memories -- but is also a day that will allow
the best of America to shine through by virtue of our response.