 Off-Topic / Debate / 12845
Re: LP statement on terrorist attacks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 11:33:46 GMT

Well, how about the fact that Ron Paul, former LP candidate for president,
is once again in the GOP and is once again a representative from Texas?

I'm not sure either, but I don't think he has any credibility in claiming
that he's just as Libertarian (capital L) as ever; if he were, he surely
wouldn't have joined the GOP.

It sounds like you are assuming that politial party membership is by nature
mutually exclusive of other party membership.  It might be that way by law (I
really have no idea) but it shouldn't be.  I agree with some of the stances
that each of the big two take.  I agree with many of the stances of the LP.  I
think I agree with some of what the Green Party says.  Why shouldn't I be able
to support (through membership) each of those?  After all, I am a member of the
NRA and the Nature Conservancy (and a bunch of others).

It's analogous to a certain former GOP member
who's now Independent but still claims to adhere to many/most of the GOP's
views.  Sounds like fence straddling,

Which is bad why/how?

at the very least Paul must be acknowledged to lack the courage
of his convictions, if he either a) turns his back on his true party,
or b) runs for another party under false pretenses.

I don't think so.  It may be that his convictions are so strong that he feels
that making them reality is more important than some silly visible
solidarity.  In fact, this is exactly what I think all Libertarians should do.
I think the GOP needs a foil to the loonies of gawd who seem to be running the
show.  Libertarians are the appropriate folks to step in and lead the party.
As Larry pointed out in the past, Reagan was fairly libertarian and he
obviously had a place (actually, it seems that Republicans tend to speak his
name with hushed reverence).

So while RP's behavior might not fit the classic notion of honor, I think your
questioning his convictions is misplaced.

Chris

Chris