 Off-Topic / Debate / 12674
Re: LP statement on terrorist attacks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 01:44:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ed Jones writes:
The following is a statement from the US LP, received on my mailing list. I
know I've been foaming a bit but I think it is worth publishing here (1)
note particularly that it seems to be in tune with what a lot of people are
saying:

Yep folks, the LP has joined the rest of the political parties - they are
saying what many have already said before them, they add nothing new or even
anything displaying any great intelligence.

Yes, they are saying nothing new, in that the LP has been calling for us to
have less entanglements and less alliances, and less meddling in the
internal affairs of other countries.

Yes, they are saying nothing new, in that they have been concerned about
loss of civil liberties and have been pointing out that government uses
crisis as an excuse to gather more power (I heard some FBI low level folks
saying that if they had better wiretapping that maybe they could have...
which is nonsense).

But that's DIFFERENT than what other parties are saying and if you think
it's not "displaying any great intelligence" that's fine, I suppose.

EVERYTHING said in that statement is something the LP has been saying for a
long time. Are you saying you disagree? Do you think we need more alliances?
Do you think we need less people volunteering? Do you think we should give
up our fundamental freedoms? Do you think we should respond in a way that
kills more innocents than necessary? Alternatively, do you think that we
should not respond at all?

What part(s) of that statement do you disagree with, then?

Yes, they are pandering to the people.

In what way? Is it pandering to repeat your principles and show how they
apply and show how they derive a correct course of action? I'm confused here.

++Lar