 Off-Topic / Debate / 12806
Re: LP statement on terrorist attacks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 13:54:14 GMT

Ross Crawford wrote, quoting Harry Brown:
"The U.S. went to Vietnam to stop the Communist dominos from falling,
and the entire region fell to the communists.

The US did not achieve its objective because it was defeated in battle, which
doesn't prove its reasoning for being there was flawed.

The U.S. invaded Panama, supposedly to end drug-dealing there,

The US went to Panama to remove its two-bit dictator, which it accomplished.

the U.S. invaded Iraq to get rid of him,

No, the US invaded Iraq to get Hussein out of Kuwait, and certainly accomplished
that.

but he is still held up as a terrible threat to the world.

It wasn't our stated objective to remove the SOB, so our measured response was
to stop short of marching into Baghdad. Perhaps that was a mistake.

The U.S. bombed Libya to teach terrorists a lesson; so the
terrorists hijacked the Pan American plane over Scotland.

Perhaps, again, because our measured response left the SOB in place. And, of
course, Mr. Brown seems to think Gadhafi[1] was just testing the terrorism
waters in Berlin and would have decided it wasn't to his liking, if only the US
hadn't bombed him.

Amy

[1] BTW, it took a while to find out how to spell his name because looking up
US-bombs-Libya-related keywords in a search engine turned up all kinds of
articles whining about the US attack that - get this - failed to mention him or
his Berlin escapade.