 Off-Topic / Debate / 12829
Re: LP statement on terrorist attacks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 18:43:06 GMT

In past situations the LP has been influential far beyond its numbers whether
you care to admit it or not.

In all seriousness, this is news to me.  I admit that the LP's views are
sometimes in line with what actually comes to pass (just as my views are
sometimes also in line), but I wasn't aware of any direct influence.
Can you give a cite?

Well, how about the fact that Ron Paul, former LP candidate for president,
is once again in the GOP and is once again a representative from Texas? If
you ask him I suspect he'll tell you he is just as Libertarian as ever and
gives just as much credence as ever to the LP's views. He's just flying the
GOP flag for convenience. You can argue whether that's legitimate or not.
I'm not sure myself.

So to the charge that no US representative is going to care what the LP
thinks, that seems patently false to me right there. Silly me I forgot about
this instance earlier today.

How about the fact that Gail Norton is secretary of the interior? She has
run as an LP candidate for office in the past.

How about the fact that LP drives have had significant impact on the passage
or non passage of legislation via callin campaigns to congress?

How about the fact that LP candidates have turned elections one way or the
other, or forced runoffs?

Those all seem like direct influence to me. Maybe not of foreign policy in
this specific instance but that wasn't the charge, the charge was that the
LP influences nothing.

Now mind you, I am not particularly pleased with the party right now or how
it finances things or runs itself. Not at all. But that's different than
saying it has no influence (as was said in this thread) or its ideas have no
merit (which has been said elsewhere).

++Lar (I said I was done, and I am, but I did want to answer a direct
question from one of our more thoughtful members)