 Off-Topic / Debate / 12787
Re: LP statement on terrorist attacks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 07:21:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Thought this might make interesting reading.  It's by
  Harry Browne (LP) and though I'm a tad more hawkish than
  he, he makes great points in favor of moderation.

  http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=24488

  He articulates what he believes, but most importantly answers
  some of the scoldings he's received via email.  I think he
  does so quite effectively.  I'm not a Libertarian, but I do
  appreciate this rationale.

I wish I'd seen this earlier. The section I especially relate to is:

"The U.S. went to Vietnam to stop the Communist dominos from falling, and
the entire region fell to the communists. The U.S. invaded Panama,
supposedly to end drug-dealing there, and today Panama is more overrun with
the drug trade than ever. After years of arming Saddam Hussein, the U.S.
invaded Iraq to get rid of him, but he is still held up as a terrible threat
to the world. The U.S. bombed Libya to teach terrorists a lesson; so the
terrorists hijacked the Pan American plane over Scotland.

Perhaps you could give me an example of where U.S. military response in the
past several decades has achieved any purpose."

ROSCO