 Off-Topic / Debate / 12904
Re: LP statement on terrorist attacks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:53:38 GMT

The Republican party makes you sign no oath, and does not make you promise
that you support the R platform or that you aren't member of some other
party too.

What would *prevent* a LP member from running as a republican? He can say
the same platform he always would have if he was running as an L.

I agree that if an LP member agrees with the tenets of the platform on
which he is running, then he's under no conflict.  If, however, he's (an
abstract "he" rather than Paul) biting his tongue on major issues with which
he might disagree (like campaign finance reform, for instance), then I think
he might be campaigning dishonestly.

Yes. But there is no requirement to agree with the GOP platform in order to
run as a GOP candidate. I haven't pored over Ron's speeches in the level of
detail to be able to tell if he bit his tongue or actually came out and said
"I don't support this and will work against it if elected". I would suspect
the latter though (with no proof either way short of doing the research).

If he has name recognition and can win the race, great.

A la Howard Stern?   8^)

Ah, no. Howard Stern and his antics seriously damaged the NY LP. Served them
right for not having  a rigorous convention delegate selection process, I
guess, but still. After getting the nomination and getting put on the ballot
at some effort and expense, he weenied out, way too late to do anything
about it.