 Off-Topic / Debate / 12807
12806  |  12808
Subject:
My God...my truth...my pain...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 13:54:19 GMT

This is going to be quite personal I think, and purhaps quite long.  It will
very likely not be worded well.  What I have to say may enrage a few of you,
but I am offering my thoughts to the public debate because I am young and
still have room for intellectual and emotional growth I suppose.

It is my belief that our government has been attempting to breed us into a
bunch of happy slaves.  A society that willingly relinquishes its rights in
the hope of living a more safe and prosperous life.

I love America.  I believe it may very well be the best thing to happen to
the world... but it seems that the America I love is not the same America
that I live in.  I have no wish to see my lifestyle dictated any further by
corporations that somehow seem more powerful than my own government.

Recently I learned about the DMCA and a more recent law soon to be passed
that only strengthens it.  Potentially I see libraries and purhaps
bookstores shutting down so that they can do their buisness online, as
corporations will have control over all the copyrighted materials and
somehow manage to force consumers to purchase digital equipment with which
to experience intellectual properties.  Recently i saw evidence of this very
thing occuring with Blockbuster video declaring that they will begin
shrinking their VHS shelves to make room for DVDs.  My fear is that
intellectual properties will be handled as a controlled narcotic.  The new
law the expands the DMCA will make it unlawful for individuals to own
digital-copying devices that do not have a government approved default
security program installed.  Potentialy, this means that if a friend or
relative hands me a CD or DVD that they "burned" themselves with an unlawful
system, then I am commiting a felony and will be treated as a common
crimminal.  Consider the ludicrous narcotics law concerning drugs found on
your property that your neighbor may have hidden.  I do not believe that my
fears are exagerated in the least.

Consider the points maid above.  Specifically the point about my fear of a
"happy slave society" run by corporations rather than a just government.

Consider that the DMCA was supported by the WTO (please do your own research
on this as I have no links to offer, but simply typing DMCA into your search
engine should suffice).

My first knowledge of the WTC tragedy was by word of mouth in which I was
informed that the trade center had been bombed.

After a few seconds of thought, I turned to my wife and said... "I hope they
got the right people."

The first possibility that had gone through my head was that a group of
Americans had gotten fed up with the "trimming" of the Constitution and had
actually made a strike.  It was my opinion in that moment of thought that
the WTC just might be a good place to strike... IF... the strike was
intended to help secure what is left of some of my freedoms...  I spoke to
my wife again, "I'll be really disapointed if this is just some terrorist
attack from a bunch of Arabs or Muslims or whoever it might be this time..."

Then I saw the news broadcasts and soaked up all the info I could gleen for
the next three days...

Now, reading the debates here, I see discussion about divine involvement...
or the lack thereof.

I have sought God.

I have been led from one point of veiw to another.

I have read much of the Bible and can't seem to find any two people of
different doctrines who agree on the interpretation of any given verse of
scripture.

These days i just don't seem to care any more.

I don't care what the Scriptures say.

I don't care if the original translation of the Bible states that "thou
shall not murder" rather than "thou shall not kill".

I don't care about ancient wine pressing techniques and how they relate to
the use of the word "wine" in the Bible.

I don't care about Paul who once was known as Saul who "...would that
everyone spoke in toungues..."

I don't care about the tribulations that will bring me closer to the Father,
or the trials that will make me stronger, that Christian woman who dreamed
up the whole "rapture" thing, or... or.... or...

...I just don't care about any of it anymore.  Every Pastor, Elder,
Preacher, or whatnot that I ever had would most likely gouge each other's
eyes out if they were to be locked together in a room.

Blind Faith is the only way to believe the Bible and its teachers.
Unfortunately, I'm far beyond blind.  I have knowledge and it contradicts
many aspects of the Bible whose very existence was voted on by men who
happened to be the governing body of their land.  My own current Pastor has
stated in his recent sermons that knowledge will confound my understanding
of the Bible.  So the message that I got is that i'm supposed to remain
ignorant if I want an understanding of the Bible... no thanks, my society
does enough to encourage ignorance.

So, there it is I guess.  My God, my truth, and my pain... I'm still
searching for the Christian God of the Bible that the churche seem to have
left behind somewhere; I have little difficulty addmitting harsh realities
to myself, and I suffer all the way.

I had realy hoped that the recent tragedies had a worthy cause behind them,
one that would shake us out of our complacency and see how much freedom
we've been willingly letting go for no good reason.  Now I fear that we will
only let go of more so that this doesn't happen again.

Americans with a cause might have been able to help us help ourselves...

Instead, fanatics with a grudge have made things all the more worse.

This is my truth.