 Off-Topic / Debate / 12697
Re: Response to Misinformation (Some other perspectives on the tragedy)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:24:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:
<snipped your reply to Richard>

Regardless, we can all agree that killing the innocent for the sins of the
leadership is wrong. Our attackers demonized Americans and committed a
brutal criminal act that shattered the lives of many innocent people.

To Bill: My comments in other posts regarding this matter are in no way an
attempt to justify the attack. Let that be clear. I do think we must address
the factual roots of this hatred and why it was manifested against our nation.
And "seeking to understand," if you were refering to my comments elsewhere,
should not be mischaracterized as a plea to coddle or condone criminal acts.
Seeking to understand can also mean seeking to prevent.

Regarding your personal appraisal of the Palestinians and Israel, I cannot
see how it can be denied that Israel is not the invader, occupier and
oppressor. Your half of the story represents just that--half. Perhaps you
are unaware of the documented and admitted Israeli massacres against
countless Palestinians (or Arabs if your prefer) as well as massacres in
Lebanon; perhaps you are unaware of the thousands of crippled Arabs as a
result of Israeli mines, cluster bombs, napalm, missles and assorted
weapons; perhaps you are unaware of the Zionist conceit that the Holy Land
is exclusively the home of the Jews; and perhaps you are unaware that Arabs
are Jews, Christians and Moslems alike.

To mischaracterize hatred as solely from the Arabs is to ignore the facts.
Regarding your appraisal of the Arab children playing at "killing Jews," is
it any different than certain video games in America portraying Arabs as
villians? Furthermore, is it any better than graphically violent video
"games" in which we allow our children to manipulate video characters to
kick, punch, stab, shoot or blow up other characters? Every culture is quite
possibly guilty of something, let's at least be forthright and honest about it.

We are all upset about this tragedy and hopefully justice will be served.

Dan