 Off-Topic / Debate / 12847
Re: Response to Misinformation (Some other perspectives on the tragedy)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 11:47:33 GMT

ought to own the property, if they legitimately owned it before.

From whence does the 'legitimate ownership' of property arise?  I say there
is no such thing.

I can see the argument. But... No matter what?

Actually, I think the notion of ownership of real estate is corrupt not only
because we can't possibly track it back to an original "fair" owner and then
trace it forward to who ought to own it (for the most part), but also because I
think that land isn't a good in the sense that a car is.  (Though a friend is
trying to convince me that the only real property is IP...we'll see where that
goes.)

What is the alternative, though? Property belongs to whoever has
the bigger gun?

Well, that's how everyone who currently has land, got it.  Or their land is
inherited from that process.  I actually think that land ought to just be
unowned.  Stewardship for parcels of land should be assigned by The People to
the people fairly.  Property tax should be gone and The People should rightly
limit what the stewards can do to the land.

There are two basic problems with this as I see it.  The first is not knowing
how to get there from here.  Many people would be dissatisfied with just
nationalizing all property.  Such a course would unfairly impact those who have
invested primarily in property.  Buying it at today's market value would be
impossible.  The other problem would be building an institution that would
fairly apportion land to people without becoming corrupt in some way.

But I don't think either of those actually prohibit the idea.  I just think
they're something for the engineers to work on.

Chris