 Off-Topic / Debate / 12603
Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:21:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Erik Olson writes:
Richard, what specifically are the other ideas? You are being vague. What
are you expecting to postpone?

Gee, I hate to go all warm and fuzzy on you...

...but how about we give peace a chance?

Yeah, and how exactly do we give peace a chance?  What does that mean, just
keep waving our fingers at these groups and the governments that fund,
train, harbor, and protect them?  Take it on the chin again and ask one
government or another to please give up the mean terrorists so we can put
them on trial, only to have them essentially give us the finger?

These groups wouldn't be nearly so well funded, organized, or even around if
the governments funding them knew that they would made to suffer for doing
that just as if they decided to send one of their own bombers over to attack
our cities.

If we do what some think we ought to do, meaning find the groups responsible
and the governments that harbor them, then yes, it may be seen as muderous
revenge.  That's generally what war ends up being no matter what.  Civilians
will die - probably in large numbers.  Our own civilians have been killed -
definitely in large numbers.

We're not going to put an end to this by talking, or playing nice.  We may
not put an end to it at all - ever.  But we can make it so overwhelmingly
costly that we might just put an end to state-sponsored terrorism.