 Off-Topic / Debate / 12689
Re: Some other perspectives on the tragedy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 04:21:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

Weren't several thousand (est) innocent Americans just murdered for the • pursuit
of a (as yet unknown) goal?

First of all, this is called argument from ignorance, as I'm sure you're
aware, and it states (falaciously) that because we do not know the reason for
X, we can assume that any reason for X is equally likely or valuable.
Second of all, you are yet again equating--incorrectly--the deliberate • murder
of innocent civilians with the accidental death of civilians near military
targets.  You are in effect saying that if I buy a baseball bat and drive • cross
country and kill you with it, I am no more guilty of murder than if I
accidently knocked a flower pot off a roof and it landed on your head, killing
you.  Do you live your life this way?

Not the same thing at all. Something closer would be if you buy a baseball
bat...and kill me with it you are no more guilty than if you take that same bat
and keep swinging it at a pile of baseballs when you know theres someone in the
middle with their hands and legs tied.

Or maybe a better example would be if you continually drive drunk down your
street at 3:30 in the afternoon (I'm making the assumption here that, like
Australia, that's about the time kids get home from school).

Would it be accidental when you hit one of the kids? Would it be any better
than killing me with the baseball bat? I say no.

ROSCO