 Off-Topic / Debate / 12696
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 07:30:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Arnon writes:
<snipped>

It would take too long to respond to every item in your post so let me just
say that we agree killing innocent people is wrong. Also, we can agree that
demonizing and making generic assumptions about another culture is wrong.
However, there is no way you can convince me that Israel wants, or has ever
wanted, peace and justice. It has always seemed to me that Israel wants
peace for itself without embracing justice for all. Symbolically, Justice
offers us a scale to weigh each side. Israel tips the scale in it's favor
and then expects the Arab's to accept scraps from the what Israel stole from
them. The bulldozing continues, the occupation continues, thus the
resistance of the Arabs will continue. Americans would offer the same
resistance if some foreign entity came en mass to America's shores and
started acting like they own the place. Why think the Arabs shouldn't?

It's no secret that Israel is a Zionist state and that Zionism rests on the
notion that Jews are God's true people and that the Holy Land is exclusively
theirs, a thought that would sicken great Moses himself. If that's not
religious fanaticism... There once was a brotherhood between Jew and Moslem
but the Zionists ruined it.

We cannot paint the picture that Israel had no choice, is not the aggressor
and occupier, nor can we vilify only the Arabs for resisting. We should
condemn all horrid acts of violence and seek to understand. You talked about
war and the inevitability of civilians being killed. We can agree that in
war, the rules of engagement dictate that combat be restricted to soldier
against soldier. However, if soldier attacks civilian, should we not expect
the other side to do the same? In the end, we are left with only more
spilled blood so I'd rather there be no war and no killing and no more
indifference.

With respect,

Dan