 Off-Topic / Debate / 12651
Re: We don't live in America, America lives in US!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 20:38:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Matthew Gerber" <matthew@digitaliris.com> wrote in message news:GJM7wJ.267@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

Great.
So us English are bullies are we?
Cast in the same light as the terrorists of today.

And you want us to stand along side you?
Nice way to start asking for our assistance.

Excuse me? Were you directly involved in 1812? You're offended? One person
writing about a known historical event to make a point means that you decide
that England won't help the U.S. now? Where do you get off acting like this?

Sounds like you want to debate...go right ahead...IN off-topic.debate.
Otherwise, keep it to yourself...

I realise the historical context, but it hardly seems appropriate to draw an analogy between the English and the current
terrorists (which is what the post was doing), when the English are your greatest allies and the nation most likely to
assist you in everyway possible, including any military action.
And dont forget that several hundred English people have died in the WTC too.

Bull. You are trolling for debates...and if you want to debate 200 year old
history and claim correlation to the events of 9/11, fine...you'll get your
wish...

(This'll likely get into jingoistic retoric according to most...so what? I'm
quite proud of my country, something that many around the world, or even in
America, simply can't say.)

I'll remind you that at the time, it was England invading our
shores...shores secured by peace loving individuals aching to flee the
tyranny of England, and other countries...remind me of a time when America
came to England and began causing major damage? Oh, that's right...we
haven't. Instead, we've thrown money at you, putting us in deficit, to
bolster you. It's the old "we saved your butts" argument, but still applies
if we are going to tread this path.

Now, on to 9/11...An unknown element, likely bin Laden according to the
current evidence, has invaded our shores...shores secured by liberty loving
individuals, aching to remain free...remind me what we've done to these
terrorists in the past? Oh yes, not much...we've allowed them to run free
for the most part, because while they have targeted our interests
(embassies, U.S.S. Cole, hijackings, kidnappings, etc.), they've yet to
attempt an invasion on our home soil...trying to afford them the same rights
and freedoms we attribute to our own citizens. We've allowed them to
continue their reign of terror, simply because it wasn't our right as human
beings or Americans to stop them. Now, it is our right.

This draws an interesting argument for me...I've long had an issue with
America's seperation of church and state...I didn't really understand it
fully until this past Tuesday...watching people celebrating in the streets
of Palastine, getting news of the school curricula in those nations...these
people are schooled in national religious fervor...it's nearly inborn...when
their religion IS their government, decades of terrorism and attacks like
WTC and the Pentagon happen...I thank God that our founding fathers had the
foresight to see where these two things don't mesh...I used to get offended
whenever anyone in our government called for prayer, or sang a hymn...now I
understand fully...it's BECAUSE of the seperation of church and state that
they CAN do these things...I'll never be offended again...

If the terrorist factions and the countries who give them sanctuary and aid
think that America is the evil enemy, so be it...America has tried for years
and years to leave them alone in their beliefs, exactally as we would those
on our own shores...but Tuesday's attacks have definately changed all of
that...now we, and those who support us (the NATO nations especially) are
going to take severe actions...pure and simple...America can only be pushed
so far, forgiveness will only be extended so long...and make no mistake, if
for some reason it was England who had attacked America on Tuesday, the same
actions would be levelled against your country...and, conversly, if England,
via your lead,  wants to be offended by references to 200 year old history,
we'll definately go forward without you and your support...thank God that
you don't speak for your country in total, huh?

There's so much more that I could type, and I may some day...but probably
not in off-topic.debate...this isn't a place where anything can or will ever
be accomplished...minds aren't changed here, just people and views attacked
(and yes, I've been guilty of it too, so don't start calling me
hypocritical....I've just chosen to try to avoid it)...so enjoy your
debating and flaming what I've written here (as I'm sure you will)...I don't
know if I'll reply...depends on how pissed off I get, I suppose...

Matt