 General / 33208
Re: We don't live in America, America lives in US!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:22:45 GMT

<snip>

I had a smile on my face when I finished reading this.

Then I emailed the link to a good friend of mine, Mimi, and she wasn't so
happy about it. When I read her response I understood why. She is one smart
girl (and I'm being objective here).

She asked me to post it for her. Here goes. I edited nothing.

----

hey shiri.

I know you meant the best, but that letter didn't comfort me. At all.
Let me tell you why. I don't feel like the first reaction should be
REVENGE. I don't believe our first instinct should be let's hurt them,
let's get them back. I think that it will have to be done eventually,
but that is a very dangerous first reaction to take. I'm not scared for
the spirit of America. I KNOE the spirit of america can survive. People
want democracy, it's a great thing, there are many good people who
recognize the benefits of Freedoms, they will survive.
The most important thing to me is human lives. Saving a Soul. The
letter threatened the terrorist with an atomic bomb. We should NOT,
under ANY CONCEIVABLE conditions, be PROUD about dropping the atomic
bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Although many people liken this to Pearl
Harbor, I do NOT want another world war, especially if it is going to be
a nuclear war. Do you know how many people's lives are destroyed by
atomic bombs, and how long the repurcutions are felt for? we're talking
about radiation, not just boom, big explosion, buildings collapsing.
We're talking about people turning into dust, burns, deaths, destruction
that you can't imagine with the energy that we're familiar with in
everyday life. We should not even remind the world that we once dropped
two atomic bombs, and we DEFINITELY should not remind ourselves.
There is even a section in his letter where he speaks of haste, about
acting without knowledge. That's also a danger to be avoided. I went to
shul last night, and after the service and studying we had a discussion,
and one woman who scared me more than anything was asking for immediate
action, for bombing afganistan even if we're not sure, for not caring
whether or not we hurt civilians because they obviously don't, for
hitting them where it hurts...
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no no no no no no no no no
the point is to END the destruction, not to gratuitiously increase it!
I'm not a pure idealist anymore, i think mike helped me with that. I
told Joe today that I couldn't respond to him with the pure optimism
that i used to. I know there will be more bloodshed, that the US will
shed blood and that probably more US blood will be shed. But the point
is to resolve the conflict with AS LITTLE BLOODSHED AS POSSIBLE. And as
much purpose as possible in every person killed, even though i believe
that no death is worth any "cause." Saving a soul. Nothing comes above
saving a soul except saving your own life. But the question is, what is
the path that will lead to as many souls still intact as possible?
I'm scared. I'm scared to death of rash decisions and harsh
punishments. And last night I was told to be scared of losing Israel if
the US didn't react harshly. And I realized that we need to keep Israel.
And we need to keep lives. How can we do both?
Some questions are not meant to be answered. Gd alone knows the answer.
But these are questions we NEED to find the answers to, so that we can
respond, and understand, and be educated in our response. Let us come
together, let us react, let us save lives and ensure that those lives
may be lived out in health and freedom.

will you post that letter as a response to the one you sent me? please?
you can say a friend wrote it. tell me any responses you get. thank you.
i went on the site, read all the other responses, tried to post my own
but there's complicated stuff to go through so it would be easier if you
did it.

----

marbeit@mediaone.net (Please don't send her threats or spam, ok?! she's a
good friend. :-)

Follow-ups are set to o-t.debate because this is not general info anymore.

thanks.
-Shiri