 Off-Topic / Debate / 12661
Re: We don't live in America, America lives in US!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 21:43:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.general, Matthew Gerber writes:
Sounds like you want to debate...go right ahead...IN off-topic.debate.
Otherwise, keep it to yourself...

Geez, I hate to play cop here, but the whole thing belongs in
off-topic.debate starting with the first posting.

Is it just me Matthew, or do you keep asking people to not debate things and
then debating them yourself?  I think the least that you might do is respect
the wishes of those not wishing to debate to not have to see it in
lugnet.general.  And as far as who is trolling for arguments, DO reread your
first posting...

Nope...don't agree...I liked the message the person was getting across...I
didn't want to share it wih the debators...I would consider that a useless
action in most cases...I wanted to share it with the populace of LUGNET who
would appreciate the words...it was the taking offense at a 200 year old
piece of history that caused this to be a debate...a useless debate, arguing
the semantics of a message written by a person still proud of their
country...a message I mostly agree with, but find myself unable to commit to
words...

Please remember that Lugnet is ideally an international community and that
not everyone will appreciate this flag waving on the front page of it.
Speaking only for myself, I dislike flag waving because it points up
difference where I would prefer to see similarity.  I am not a citizen of
the U.S. but rather a citizen of the world residing in the U.S. (a great
country to be sure!).  I like that we have our own smaller places to call
home because it is easier to manage things that way -- but not because I
inherently think my team is better than your team.

Nonsense...flag waving is getting many folks through this tradgedy...seen TV
today? Heard the calls for every American to fly the flag, to show our
solidarity? It is exactally the differences between different nations that
makes us who we are...I for one, while I realize that it COULD work, hope to
never see a united world government...not only for the Biblical aspects of
the end times, but for the loss of the individuality that makes us who we are...

The only place I draw anything near the lines you speak of is this...I
believe that the human race is exactally that...one race of same beings,
none better than the other in physical, mental, or any other way...and human
beings simply should not visit the kind of death and violence we've seen on
each other...dare I agree with others and say that those who would aren't
truly human?

Go earth!

Go America, and God bless us all!

Go human race, and sorrow unite us all!