 Off-Topic / Debate / 12632
Re: Rooting out nests of snakes and destroying them
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:04:55 GMT

Scott Arthur wrote:
It is a surprise to me:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1531000/1531449.stm

"A Belgian judge has suspended an investigation into alleged war crimes by Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon in connection with the massacre of Palestinians nearly 20 years ago."

afaik (don't have the time to look up a reference), Sharon was eventually aquitted of this charge...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1286000/1286702.stm

"Israel 'approves pinpoint attacks'"

very good - they should have started a long time ago.  What they are doing is killing know terrorists, either after or (hopefully) before they strike again.  great!

http://web.amnesty.org/ai.nsf/countries/israel/occupied+territories

"Israeli authorities are thus being reminded that under international human rights law lethal force should only be used when lives are in imminent danger. At the same time appeals are being directed to Palestinian armed groups asking them to respect fundamental principles of international humanitarian law and to refrain from attacking civilians. "

right, good thing.  Israel has yet to attack any civilian, while the terrorists do it on a daily basis.  Or are you claiming that Israel does it too?

http://www.web.amnesty.org/web/ar2001.nsf/webmepcountries/ISRAEL+AND+OCCUPIED+TERRITORIES?OpenDocument

not sure what your point is here.  Yes, palestinians are often barred from travel within Israel, unfortunatly.  If there is a better way of keeping terrorists out of civilian centers, Israel hasn't found it yet.  Note that I'm not saying that all palestinians are terrorists, but that so far, 99.9% of terrorists were palestinian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4235413,00.html

I never heard of this before, but it seems that both US and Israel agree that this was an accident.  I'm not sure I care about any conspiracy theories without any kind of proof to them.

so, um, did you have a point here?  I must have missed it.

Dan