 Off-Topic / Debate / 12627
Re: Rooting out nests of snakes and destroying them
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:25:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
Let me say that things happen for a reason, whether we agree or like it or
not. I am outraged by this tragedy and I hope that justice is served. I also
hope we don't too become indiscriminate murderers now that we've sadly been
given a taste of such brutality. As I said in other posts, the innocent
shouldn't be condemned for the sins of the leadership.

<snip>

What happened two days ago is the clearest message that our government
should seriously reconsider it's support for Israel, for the sake of our own
safety. I don't think we Americans should should live in fear because our
government chooses to support the Israeli occupation.

   But now the picture is far more complicated.  If we climb
   down now and change our foreign policy suddenly, won't this
   send the tacit signal that terrorism is the best way to get
   what you want?

   For now, I agree with Larry.  Find the nests of vipers and
   visit great and terrible destruction upon them (and only them,
   as much as can be discriminated).  Bring those to justice by
   law who can be brought to justice by law.  Send that message
   first, and *then*, from a position of power, revise our
   foreign policy positions.

   We can't make any definitive decisions until we have a full
   accounting of what's happening.  Right now, as Americans, we
   rightly reserve the right to exact vengeance against those
   who have cravenly attacked our people.

   best

   LFB