 Off-Topic / Debate / 12638
Re: Rooting out nests of snakes and destroying them
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:07:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger writes:
Israel is the only country in the middle east that stands for freedom and >democracy - why is it a suprise to you, then, that the US supports it?  Also, >the only time Israel "attacked" palestinians was in it's own defence.  >Killing a terrorist who set up bombs and has already killed many people is >not murder.

I understand. All I can say is there is a cycle of violence between the
Israelis and Palestinians and it is false to assume that it stems solely
from violent acts on the part of the Palestinians. Israel is the invader and
occupier, that's just the fact of it's existence. The Zionists are imposing
themselves on another people with the trumped up notion that Jews have the
exclusive claim to that land. They don't want to share and they came in as
the aggressors, and ever since there has been violence. The Israeli
treatment of the Palestinians has been unjust from day one and defies all
precepts of freedom and democracy. Our country should be ashamed to have
associated with Israel, as much as the shame we carry for associating with
South Africa during Apartheid.

yet again, the only people who are killing the innocent are terrorists.  >Goverments taking action against them are only killing the guilty.  You can't >say that the people in Sbarro in Jerusalem weren't innocent, and you can't >say that terrorist masterminds are not guilty.

Of course, and I deplore such violence but we should at least truly seek to
understand and make better decisions so that we don't perpetuate a culture
of frustration and resentment. What's the alternative, killing off all Arabs
and Moslems?

I'm sure we all want world peace.  But saying (and I'm paraphrasing) "the US >deserved what it got, because of it's world policy" is an attempt to justify >the acts we have witnessed.  And that is _exactly_ what the Islamic Jihad and >the Hamas said in their statments.

NO, I am not saying or inferring that anyone deserved to be murdered. I'm
saying we cannot deny our government's role in certain injustices around the
world and that it cycled back on us in a horrible, horrible way. I don't
want it to happen again for anyone. I just think the path of least
resistence is considering what has our government done to piss people off
and could things improve worldwide if we change our attitude here and there,
namely with Israel. It's worth thinking about so that we don't have to worry
about getting blown up anymore.

Dan