 Off-Topic / Debate / 12656
Re: Rooting out nests of snakes and destroying them
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 21:14:25 GMT

To the people who think that the subject line isn't the right way to view
what needs to be done now, I would invite you to suggest another course of
action.

Ignoring the problem isn't going to work.
Appeasement isn't going to work.
Sanctions aren't going to work.
Cruise missiles lobbed in from a safe distance aren't going to work.
Turning the free world into a police state isn't going to work. (1)

So what *will* work? I think we all want to know. Don't just take pot shots
at the big bad US-Israeli axis. It's old "news"(2). Let's hear concrete
proposals.

Acknowledging that you don't have the answer is a start.  Acknowledging that
your ideology may not be the only right one is the next step.  Demonstrating
the willingness to understand someone else's position follows that.  Then
you might just find other countries willing to talk to you.  Then you might
be able to foster relations based on trust rather than short-term gains.
Finally you can start talking about a unified approach to terrorism, if
there's any still around by then.

And if you want something to pray for, pray that it's not too late to start.

Jason J Railton