 Off-Topic / Debate / 12663
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 21:50:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GJM51s.HFz@lugnet.com...

L. Wilkes, who I fundamentally disagree with on many levels, at least took
the time to think through some of the ramifications and raised some very
good points, making the key point that there is no way to win a permanent
and absolute victory "forever" without fundamentally changing who we are.

Larry, where do you fundamentally disagree with me on many levels?
When have we had disagreements?
I hope you were not reading my earlier reply as my views on what should be done.
You asked for suggestions, I made some.
I said I didnt necessarily support them.

LW it's with regard to some old threads, some things were said by you there
that I did fundamentally disagree with. If I get time I will go back and
respond in a bit more detail.

Also you do have a tendency to view Britain as above reproach and the US as
fundamentally flawed... witness your lashing out about the war of 1812. The
historical facts are what they are, Britain tried to reimpose tyranny and
failed. That was then. This is now. Most Americans view Britain as a fast
and true friend... we help each other out all the time.

I think your suggestions in this thread have merit as thought starter
questions because they imply that a knee jerk reaction, taken to its logical
extreme, can often have very grave and unintended consequences. I didn't
take them all seriously, I don't think you intended them that way at all.
More like Johnathan Swift on the Irish Question... suggestions to make
people think.

I'll admit I am knee jerking myself right now but I am massively pissed. It
took a while to sink in, on Tuesday I was just numb... Tuesday night I
started to grieve... all day Wednesday just about anything could make me
cry, but now I am just pissed.

I suspect I am not going to change my views much though, we have a disease
on our hands and it's time to do something about it. Terrorists (once
identified as such with certainty) must be destroyed and those who applaud
terrorism must be punished.

++lar