 General / *1000 (-100)
  Re: www.lego.com

(...) I got in, but my Netscape 3 didn't display the Shockwave correctly, so I used MSIE 4 (...) Interesting thought. Just try to visualize it -- all those tiny robots invading the ofiices and chasing out the employees :) (...) --Bram Bram Lambrecht (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Auczilla update

Todd Lehman wrote in message <36641fcc.1464155@lu...et.com>... (...) Thanks. Jesse ___...___ Jesse The Jolly Jingoist Looking for answers? Read the rec.toys.lego FAQ! (URL) in Deja News! (URL) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Minifig trip to Carlsbad?

(...) <snip> (...) Well, I feel odd about it too. I have one 2x4 brick on my desk at work as a symbol of my hobby - but that's the extent of it. BTW, I didn't bring this particular brick from my collection. A co-worker who knew I was into Lego (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego Media Contest

(...) Congratulations Alan. I'm glad to see that someone from the group finally won something in one of Lego's contests. BTW, did you supply the "correct" answer at the end of each episode? I made a few mistakes in my entry. I think they just did a (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: www.lego.com

It has been up and down access for me today. No server... no server... server... no server. LINC Steve Bliss wrote in message ... (...) the (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Grotestque LEGO pictures

(...) FYI, it's (URL) no WWW prefixed ... (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  www.lego.com

Has anyone been able to access the official LEGO site recently (like, in the last couple of hours)? I'm not getting a "domain not found" or a 404, I'm getting a message box popping up, telling me there's a problem. Weird. Maybe their Christmas (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:54:15 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote: :I'm thinking really hard on this, but I'm not sure there is any _clean_ :solution other than allowing at-will cross-posting between RTL and :lugnet groups. : :This is (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:50:25 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote: : rec.toys.lego.spam <-- followups set to rec.toys.lego Follow-ups sent /dev/null? Jasper (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Minifig trip to Carlsbad?

(...) Sounds like a great idea. A few of my coworkers kinda snickered when I told them people would be sending me minifigs (which reminds me - if you're interested, better contact me quick if you want to make sure they get here by the 10th or (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) "Robert M. Dye" <robdye@writeme.com> writes: (...) "Linc Smith" <ldsmith@pfc.forestry.ca> writes: (...) OK, we made up a couple buttons -- here is the page... (URL) are designed to link to the main root homepage (rather than the news page), (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I don't see any problem with filtering on _technical_ grounds, like getting rid of binaries or html. It's when you're filtering on content that issues arise. (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Auczilla update

(...) About 1,500 pieces to go in VII -- almost all Pirates pieces -- then the last wave of shipping for VII. IX starting soon, hopefully first week of December. CEK III starting soon with Christmas-only minifigs. --Todd (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I believe I mean more like Larry's unwashed. I was referring to the set of messages which exist on RTL, and we are trying to prevent from spilling out onto lugnet.* (...) I meant to suggest the *.binaries, *.html and etc. groups be read-only (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Once upon a time, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote: [snip] (...) Anyone who *should* be cross-posting, should be able to grok this. In the sense that it takes some sense (and diplomacy) to cross-post effectively. Steve (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Auczilla update

Todd-- Can we get one? Thanks. Jesse -- ___...___ Jesse The Jolly Jingoist Looking for answers? Read the rec.toys.lego FAQ! (URL) in Deja News! (URL) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Lego Media Contest

I just received an e-mail from Lego Media, and I found out that I won. I had a choice of three software, so I picked Lego Loco. Did anyone else enter the contest mentioned by Thomas Main about four weeks ago? Alan P.S. I guess entering all those (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I wish to apologise to fellow LUGnet users my participation in that thread, not my initial post to that thread, rather my profane, inane responses that had subsequently emerged. An irrational, defensive reaction, which only further fuelled the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

I couldn't find the bit in here that might be relevant, so snipped it all! I would imagine that, due to the lack of flame-wars, the more productive and useful postings, the Organization of LUGnet, makes it a much more viable vehicle with which to (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

1st of all, I just select "tools, download all," so having to go to two different servers is not really noticeable. OE seems to handle it ok. The only benefits I could see might be receiving some posts sooner rather than later, and not needing to (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Received this e-mail from Lego

Once web-based (...) I look forward to it, too, but fear that the same regional price disparities that currently exist will be repeated on the website, too. In the UK, what you pay in dollars, we usually pay pounds, which is a ~60% price premium. (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Received this e-mail from Lego

Once web-based (...) I look forward to it, too, but fear that the same regional price disparities that currently exist will be repeated on the website, too. In the UK, what you pay in dollars, we usually pay pounds, which is a ~60% price premium. (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Minifig trip to Carlsbad?

With "take figs to work" day being discussed again I got to thinking about places that might be cool to photograph "touring" minifigs (1). Actually occured to me when reading Mike Stanley's message about taking figs to see Star Wars. The obvious (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: nice pics at PEST today

(...) Pretty funny :) I did a head loping scene as part of a larger Halloween display. Would have been better if all of the victims were Timmy!!! Barry (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) <some good technical stuff that I don't have the bandwidth to grok...> but nonetheless I disagree. If rtl is served from here, cross posting should be allowed for messages first posted here. Regardless of whether the poster is posting an (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I'm on board with them. However my bandwidth just dried up. Can someone take a stab at a repost incorporating Todd's and Steve's changes? Do it as a single block and posters can mark it up again. Don't bother with revision bars, et al, none of (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) It really has been the doing of one individual, believe it or not, as the catalyst (with the help of some regulars of course). Reminds me of the Mandroid days. These too, I suspect, will pass. Barry (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3662a9e2.2109338@lu...et.com>... :I think it used to be -- at least we :heard happy stories from time to time -- that people with limited interest :in LEGO would stumble into RTL and then discover how wonderful LEGO & (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  The crux of the matter (IMHO)

Wow. Wotta thread! I think there has been more traffic on LUGNET on this issue of carrying RTL than on anything since it started. It's nice to see 70 new messages, and NONE of them appear to be flames... When's the last time you recall that (...) (26 years ago, 23-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Well, one way would be to put a link on various web pages...I'm more than willing to put one on my pages,, such as they are...I am sure there are many folks who appreciate the job you've done in creating LUGNET, and would probably do the same. (...) (26 years ago, 23-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) ", so you are sure to find information in your area of interest." (...) Thanks for writing the post. Some advocacy is necessary for encouraging participation. Besides the post could be updated from time to time. (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Don't send them in envelopes (Re: Bring Your Minifig To Work Day)

(...) A bubble pad envelope is fine, because it is thicker ( greater than a 1/4") and machines can't process it. I know the postage is more, but piece of mind is better. (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 03:53:14 GMT, Paul Foster <pfoster@execpc.com> wrote: :Ok, then what happens if somebody who is approved cross posts to rtl and :a lugnet :group and it propagates out to the web and then someone on the web who :is not :approved (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) One thing to consider is that if a message is cross-posted to a moderated group, it shouldn't show up in any other groups until it's been accepted in that group. LUGnet is a (lightly-and-automatically) moderated forum. It's completely (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) True, canceling wouldn't work unless you get control.cancel. Spam aside for a second, I don't think ignoring cancels is very bad. People should assume that once they hit "post", it's public, like it or not. But then, there's the issue of spam (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3663128b.28905770@l...et.com>... (...) This is true, you would need to take control.cancel and rec.toys.lego if you wanted every single cancel. You probably wouldn't want to do that, since the last statistics that I saw (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I don't think I like it either... Not because I'm morally against modifying NNTP headers on a private server (I would be in Usenet context) but because of the confusion which would ensue (more below). (...) Yeah, splitting is definitely (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) By "unwashed" I take it you mean those who haven't completed the news-posting setup? Or do you mean Larry's version of "unwashed"? (...) But doesn't that validate and/or encourage the practice of posting HTML, binaries, spam, etc.? (...) Yes, (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

I'm thinking really hard on this, but I'm not sure there is any _clean_ solution other than allowing at-will cross-posting between RTL and lugnet groups. This is because: A) NNTP guidelines indicate that the Newsgroup header should always be (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Actually, I just meant it should just *ignore* the extra entries in the Newsgroups header. But that doesn't make sense, especially after your further discussion about the evils of having separated threads spawned from cross-posted messages. (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Not that necessarily advocating the practice of moving existing messages, but it does help keep the thread intact. Which helps readers follow what's going on. It also _strongly_ encourages new followups to go where the T.P. want them to go. (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Nah, it's 100% my mistake -- I shouldn't have used the word "hosted" in the subject line -- I should have used "carried." "Should RTL be carried on this server?" (...) Aha, yes -- good point -- too much potential for accusations of elitism (in (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Hmmm. I'm not sure I like that. If I go to the trouble of explicitly saying where a message should go (and if it's somewhere that that message has every right to be) it seems like the server is making a mistake if it loses some of my (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Don't worry -- it's literally impossible for anyone to "move" rtl anywhere, short of convincing everyone (well, at least every news admin) in the world to change. (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Hey, I'M the topic police. No, seriously -- if a thread is getting out of hand and off-topic, a gentle reminder, or several, with followup-to set, should be sufficient. I don't see a need to retroactively relocate articles. (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) excellent key point! (...) Let me see if I correctly understand what you're saying. In other words, if something originates outside of this newsserver, the newsserver should map/truncate Newsgroups: rec.toys.foo,rec.toy...lugnet.foo to simply (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3662a9e2.2109338@lu...et.com>... (...) I don't think the Lugnet people are of the mindset to label. Excessively. (...) So it's going to be carried here but not only here? My mistake. Now I see almost no reason to argue (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Can RTL be turned round? (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> (...) Not only possible, but IMO true. Snobbery arrives subtlely. :) (...) Ya, well, you're only saying that because it's true ;-) It seems as though a question like, "Where can I get black helmets?" ellicits an (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) That may be true. What is also true, though, is that there are specific groups here for discussing specific things. So if a nasty discussion begins those people can always be encouraged to move it to off-topic.debate and keep it out of the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Steve/Larry, I think these are good additions/changes... --Todd (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Linc has brought up some good ideas. Also, I believe there is already a link to the lugnet main page from Michael Dorneich's Everything Lego page, which every Lego newbie will find sooner or later. (...) Since there is such a concern that (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Kevin Loch wrote in message <3660DF05.1B45@NOSPMkl.net>... (...) No, because people will crosspost. If I wanted to read RTL I'd do so directly. Alternatively, yes, as long as crossposts are rejected. Moz (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I'd say the possibility of cross-posting between the lugnet groups and rec.toys.lego is a _good_ thing, in terms of allowing lugnet to support RTL, rather than detracting from it. That way (for example), announcements can be cross-posted. And (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Maybe "Everyone can read the lugnet postings, but before posting new messages, you must agree to follow some basic rules of netiquette and agree to conditions of use."? (...) ... or missed messages because your ISP didn't pick up some (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Probably a FAQ...

(...) Should be about 1/4 tile. More or less. Steve (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3662c0ff.8026676@lu...et.com>... <snipped Todd's translation of Larry's excellent first stab at the letter... (...) Todd, it never ceases to amaze me how some people can turn words around and make me see things from a (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

[Once upon a time, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote about hosting RTL on lugnet.com/news/.] Apparently, I picked the wrong time to have a major national holiday separate me from my lugnet-devoted newsreader. :/ I'll make my points brief. They (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^ It's probably best to say "the LUGNET newsgroups" here because the thing that will be known later as "LUGNET" doesn't exist yet. And certainly, the service that exists there now with the newsgroups is only a small part of what (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) But a lot of that is simply because most lugnet'ers have been around RTL for awhile, and don't feel the need to rehash old arguments. Steve (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

(...) Here's the Halloween page -- (URL) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Larry, This is a great start! My edits/suggestions/comments below... --Todd (...) ^^^...^^^ I wonder if there is another salutation which would suggest inside-hood -- such as "fellow RTL'ers:" -- rather than possible outside-hood...? Not that (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Quick note: generally speaking, this is not a true statement. But, if you apply the filter of being able to use a keyboard and access the internet, it may be true for the remaining 'everyone'. Steve (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Received this e-mail from Lego

(...) I feel that I have to comment on how much Lego's website has improved over the last year. It looks great and there is a lot of content on these pages. I really enjoyed the insectoids challenges, RC Racer game, and the contest in December looks (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) See the other response at (URL) one runs RTL -- we're just brainstorming about the merits or drawbacks of hosting it here in addition to all the other places it's currently hosted -- not about moving it to only be hosted here. --Todd (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) When you say "to/on the web" you mean "to/on Usenet," right? What would have to happen is that the article would come back here with the same crossposting headers, and its Newsgroups line would have to be truncated so that it only wound up in (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I didn't mean to suggest that it hadn't started happening...sorry for the confusion... What I meant to address was the question of the consequences in the mind as it happens -- in how people view it. If people cross that line _and_ they start (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Probably a FAQ...

(...) The basic ratio is 2:5, for stud-spacing to plate-height. Which is why you see Technic models with beam-plate-plate-beam stacked up--this allows beams to be placed vertically, and connected to the other beams. In LDU (LDraw units), the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Probably a FAQ...

Fred M. Sloniker wrote in message <365f8e7a.32298838@l...et.com>... (...) Well, I was bored one Sunday evening and rather than do some more Economics study, I had a bash at working out the proportions of a classic 2x4 brick. Would this help? Taking (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  nice pics at PEST today

Heh. Check out (URL) Matthew Miller ---> mattdm@mattdm.org Quotes 'R' Us ---> (URL) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

(...) Great, now how do I reset the date on their server so I can see the holiday page? ;) Steve (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Received this e-mail from Lego

(...) Sidenote: that wishlist feature has already come in handy. We were trying to get our kids to narrow down their Christmas lists. Having an externally imposed 5-item limit worked wonders. Unfortunately, since they filled out the wishlists in (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Received this e-mail from Lego

(...) That depends on your definition of "officially". For me, it's not official unless it appears on/in product (in regards to names and other similar fluff--press releases on the website have a fairly high level of officiallity). Steve (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bring Your Minifig To Work Day

(...) That can be done, sure. :) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <366163a8.4473573@lu...et.com>... (...) Yes. But I wouldn't call the serious nature of the posts over here "belief." I'd call it fact. How many flame wars have we had here in Lugnet? None. How many off-topic.debate (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Terry K wrote in message <3661fca9.1478769@lu...et.com>... (...) Well, I've bailed out, for the most part. I just don't have the time anymore to wade through 80 auctions and messages about things that do not interest me. Then there are all the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3661db44.25869828@l...et.com>... (...) Interesting, especially when most of the messages so far are about technology more than community. Do you think people are going to think differently about RTL if it's moved? (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 02:24:23 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote: :> RTL prior to LUGNET had order, of sorts, because the old timers, who :> knew each other, enforced it via suasion, peer pressure, and ultimately :> ostracism (to an extent). (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Mike Stanley wrote in message ... (...) Am I really reading this? So,is Mike going to include computerized dating matches for our minifigs too? No reason to go to a movie alone. Jesse ___...___ Jesse The Jolly Jingoist Looking for answers? Read the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) ...<snip> I suggest that the letter be shorter, and not include every detail of Lugnet. I could group RTL in to the following, those who have not heard of Lugnet, and those that have but aren't leaving for whatever reason. I suggest that the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Todd, I would like to suggest that you have a specific page (one screen) that outlines the Lugnet's goals, services, and explains why a sign up procedure is required. This page will have links to the main page, and sign in page and any general (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bring Your Minifig To Work Day

(...) Works for me. :) Anyone who wants to send me a minifig, contact me via e-mail and we can swap addresses and such. (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Legoland California article

(...) If you're a Netscape user, try doing an "open frame in new window" with your mouse on the article. Then capture the URL that the new window has: (URL) what I got when I did that. and (URL) what I got when I followed the link to the whole (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) <snip> (...) For me, and many others with terrible newsservers, this is a big advantage. I have to use Dejanews to read RTL if I want to stay current with posts. While I like Dejanews as an archiving service, it is not ideal to use it as a (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Legoland California article

(...) Oh, that's right, they're using frames. Thanks for pointing that out. That's an annoying thing about frames: you can't always give a url directly to the page you want to reference. So, you have to give a url, plus navigation instructions. What (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I concede that point but there will still be alot of propagation delay that will probably confuse people here because of all the non lugnet originated RTL posts, unless of course, everybody migrated to lugnet which would then make the whole (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Drat. Here's something: Note that unlike usenet, LUGNET is a private service and in order to participate you will need to reveal your real name. Further, LUGNET requires you to acknowledge that you will abide by the LUGNET terms and conditions (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I think part of it is that some of the more civil voices are gone. A lot of the recent flames seem to be about the same things over and over. The same people come on and spam the same thing day after day and that starts things all over again. (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) If you and I are both reading RTL here, that means that THIS news server is serving up the posts. If you post while reading HERE, the post will go to this news server first (before being propagated outward in the classic chaotic usenet (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Swag: (done rather quickly, so hack away) -- begin -- To old and new readers of RTL: There is another place to share the joy of Lego, make friends, share ideas, and participate in our special community. LUGNET is a privately hosted, fan (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) This is why I would say don't include RTL, you start to get into issues like this. Besides, if you have to filter messages by non approved posters, what's the point of carrying RTL any ways. Anyone who is approved will probably already be (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Ok, then what happens if somebody who is approved cross posts to rtl and a lugnet group and it propagates out to the web and then someone on the web who is not approved does a reply without modifying the headers, what happens when that article (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I don't think it would help this as you are still at the mercy of message propagation, remember the messages won't be originating here. (...) Paul Foster (URL) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Can RTL be turned round? (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Yes. As would getting it updated. I think we all acknowledge that doing a FAQ is a labor of love, and **I** certainly don't have time, but it is pretty out of date in spots. In fact, I think a few canned responses to general sorts of questions (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Don't send them in envelopes (Re: Bring Your Minifig To Work Day)

(...) Mmm, good point. Maybe turn a small LEGO box inside-out, and put another one inside that and use $.55 postage x2 ? Or how about a bubble-pad envelope -- are those safe? --Todd (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Maybe the FAQ isn't posted there often enough...might that help? --Todd (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Don't send them in envelopes (Re: Bring Your Minifig To Work Day)

A heartfelt plea, ---Warning---, I am a technician that has worked on Postal machinery. The Postal service uses machines to sort their mail and would crush and mangle the minifigs. Normal flat letters are okay, but a minifig would catch in the belts (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Agreed. When I first started reading RTL (May 97?), I would read virtually each and every post. And I enjoyed doing so. Now I skip the majority of it, only occasionally parsing a thread to see what it's about. Often, as in the case of the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bring Your Minifig To Work Day

(...) Huhhhh-whooah! You mean I could send my favorite minifig to Star Trek: Insurrection?! Oh, man, he wants to go!!! How about if I indemnify you against loss? --Todd (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bring Your Minifig To Work Day

(...) If I weren't concerned about possible loss I'd take them with me to the opening night of Star Trek: Insurrection as well. :) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact