 General / 980
Re: Received this e-mail from Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:35:15 GMT

Once web-based
ordering becomes available, I will be very happy.

I look forward to it, too, but fear that the same regional
price disparities that currently exist will be repeated on
the website, too.
In the UK, what you pay in dollars, we usually pay pounds, which
is a ~60% price premium. This is further exacerbated by the
lack of sales as you USians enjoy. And what makes it so much worse
is the fact that we are so much **closer** to Billund than you!
(Yes, I know, a fair amount of components are manufactured in
the US, and the sets are mostly assembled there, but still!)

Only time will tell........

Perhaps we should do a price comparison? As local ordering pages
are likely to be in local currencies, would we see different
Euro amounts for different Euro-enabled countries? Or, would those
countries enjoy the same price? It would be interesting to see
how much a few select, base sets, based on size/piece counts would
compare, and whether or not forbidden to foreigners would be the
case if disparities should prove to be as great as I fear?

The base should involve small, medium and large sets, from 1 or
2 themes common to all participating countries, plus a few technic
models. A volunteer from each of a few countries can then compile
and convert the prices to a US dollar standard amount, based on
the exchange rate on a set day. Countries involved should include
US, UK, NZ, Australia, NL, Germany, France, and perhaps Turkey
(Selcuk might not want to see how much more he is paying compared
to the rest of the world).

I of course volunteer to take care of the UK side.......

Any takers? Or are all the USians confident that they are going to
get the best deals, period, and not interested???? Even if so, I
think it is in the best interests of we in Europe to find out.....

richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net               remove nospam dot
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888                  ICQ 13177071
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/