 Off-Topic / Debate / 15116
15115  |  15117
Subject:
Opinion of the American Psychological Association (was: gay by birth vs. gay by choice)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 11:58:35 GMT

Here is something that is interesting (though I forgot where I found it):

===================
The American Psychological Association released a Statement on Homosexuality
in 1994-JUL. Their first two paragraphs are:

The research on homosexuality is very clear. Homosexuality is neither mental
illness nor moral depravity. It is simply the way a minority of our
population expresses human love and sexuality. Study after study documents
the mental health of gay men and lesbians. Studies of judgment, stability,
reliability, and social and vocational adaptiveness all show that gay men
and lesbians function every bit as well as heterosexuals.

Nor is homosexuality a matter of individual choice. Research suggests that
the homosexual orientation is in place very early in the life cycle,
possibly even before birth. It is found in about ten percent of the
population, a figure which is surprisingly constant across cultures,
irrespective of the different moral values and standards of a particular
culture. Contrary to what some imply, the incidence of homosexuality in a
population does not appear to change with new moral codes or social mores.
Research findings suggest that efforts to repair homosexuals are nothing
more than social prejudice garbed in psychological accouterments.