 Off-Topic / Debate / 15117
15116  |  15118
Subject:
Another interesting essay & how I found it (was: gay by birth vs. gay by choice)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 13:01:57 GMT

Here is the essay on Homosexauality:
http://bahai-library.org/unpubl.articles/homosexuality.html
(b.t.w. I don't agree with a lot of the conclusions drawn)

& here is how I found it.

A few months ago I found out about the Baha'i faith.
The following principles of the Baha'i faith are why I researched it
further.

- Humanity, in all its diversity, is one.
- Human beings are fundamentally spiritual with great potential to be good.
- Everyone must search for truth independently & freely.
- Religion must be the cause of unity.
- Religion must be in accord with science & reason.
- Men and women are equal.
- Predjudice of all kinds must be removed.
- Education should be accessible to all.
- A world government must be established to deal with international issues.
- A universal language must be chosen which will facilitate understanding
between people.

If you are interested in finding out more about the faith, this is there
website:
http://www.bahai.com/

I found it to be a very uplifting experience to know that there were so many
other people that had similar beliefs to me.
Initially I did have some trouble with the idea of God (myself being an
atheist), though this was something that I was willing to pursue given the
principles of the faith & my own lack of experience & knowledge on the
subject.

Sometime later I was quite destressed to find out that Homosexuality is
forbidden by the Baha'i faith & is considered 'against nature'. I found this
very disheartening & have lost interest since.
I felt that it was possibly in conflict with the principle of 'Religion must
be in accord with science & reason.'
Many people (including myself) believe that being gay is something you are
rather than something you choose.

IMO turning a gay person straight isn't possible. IMO someone cannot change
the essence of who they are (sexuallity & relationships a big part of most
peoples lives). They might be able to disguise there feelings but IMO gay
people can't be 'cured' (because IMO it isn't a disease)

Hopefully you found my story & opinions interesting.

Carl