 Off-Topic / Debate / 15024
Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice... who cares!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 09:01:39 GMT

What does it really matter? If people are happy that is a good thing.

There was recently a "gay census" in the UK. It has been criticised for
focusing on people who are "out", but it is still the most detailed revue of
gay life in the UK. The main results are here:
http://www.channel4.com/gaycensus/index.html

Where nature/nurture is concerned it makes these comments: "More men believe
they were 'born gay' than suddenly felt compelled to wear pink. Most
lesbians however, believe they chose to be lesbian, or cite a combination of
nature and nurture from social pressures." Further details:
http://www.channel4.com/gaycensus/g_nature.html

I advise all homophobes to take the "Gay-O-Meter" test, and tell us the
results:
http://www.channel4.com/plus/metrosexuality/

I shall tell you all my results once I have spoken to my wife. and my mum.

Scott A

"Kirby Warden" <inourimage@msn.com> wrote in message
the following is a question and answer excerpt from a debate on another • website.

The questions seem to me very clear and logical.

The answers, however, do not; sometimes they seem rather desperate.  I • find
it very interesting that the person answering these questions uses • religion
as a scapegoat for why the gay community chooses birth rather than choice.
Also, futher down, he states that he will not argue hypothetical • questions,
yet clings to gay by birth, an unproven theory.

A simple news search will show several references to articles about the • gay
gene.  A scientist, Dr.Hamer who is gay, claims to have proven the • existence
of  a gay gene in chromosone X28, yet his results could not be duplicated • by
later researchers.

For those who may be quick to judge, I am not anti-gay.

I believe people choose their sexual orientation.

Several gay participants of the debate adamantly refused to accept that I
could be anything but anti-gay.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- • -----

quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- • ------
Originally posted by hound:

Does the gay community have a language of its own and only respects people
who use it?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- • ------

Not exactly. What I was referring to when I spoke of "language" was:
There are simply some terms we prefer used towards us, and others that we
dislike or find offensive. There are all kinds of names that we can be
called, ranging from the derogatory type to the misunderstanding type to • the
type we prefer.
This happens in every group of people who have something in common. If you
belonged to a particular group, and if someone who did NOT belong to that
particular group were talking to you, would you prefer to be called:
"Disabled" or "a cripple"?
"African American" or the N-word?
"Woman" or the B-word?

That's what I mean when I talk about the type of language being used.

quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- • ------
Originally posted by hound:
Is the gay community really so against the idea of choosing ones sexual
orientation?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- • ------

(I just know this is going to set off a whole new line of arguments, • but...)
Yes, most of us are, primarily because that concept is used by religious
ultra-conservatives to:
1) Deride the way that we are
2) Label us as "sinners"
3) Try to pass legislation to further limit our rights (relative to those • of
straight people)
4) Try to prevent the passing of legislation that would allow us rights
equal to those of straight people

quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- • ------
Originally posted by hound:
What is to be gained by adamantly adhereing to the idea of gay at birth
rather than gay by choice? It seems to me that gay by choice is a far more
courageous and worthwhile fight, the constitution is on your side.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- • ------

How is the Constitution "on our side" if we are gay by choice, but NOT if • we
are gay by birth? I don't follow your logic here.

quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- • ------
Originally posted by hound:
Gay at birth simply goes against nature, a species cannot thrive without
procreation of opposite sexes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- • ------

I'm finished arguing with you on this point. If you don't see the logic in
Cliffy's post about this early on in this thread, then there's really no
where else for us to go with this other than "Yes, it is! No, it isn't!"
(Added later):
And LGBT people are not a different species from straight people. We're • all
H-omo sapiens sapiens. (How ironic is that? I had to add the hyphen in
"H-omo" to keep the species name from getting censored by the BB. ) Just
like humans who are right-handed are the same species as those who are
left-handed. See http://members.aol.com/gaygene/pages/traittab.htm for • more
on that.

quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- • ------
Originally posted by hound:
What if the gay gene is someday found? What if you have yourself tested • for
it and the results are negative. Would you change your lifestyle to • support
"who you are" or would you accept the label of "deviant" and continue to
live gay? ... If the gay gene is found and people are tested and filed at
birth, would that be ok with the gay community? Do you know some of the
possible repercussions of that?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- • ------

I will not be drawn into an argument based purely on hypothetical • situations
that (by definition) may or may not ever happen. It's a waste of time.

quote:
Originally posted by hound:
Is it "anti-gay" to disbelieve the gay-at-birth theory? It is just a • theory
until proven otherwise.

"Anti-gay"? Maybe, maybe not. • "Anti-what-almost-everyone-who's-LGBT-thinks"?
Definitely.