 Off-Topic / Debate / 15037
Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 23:50:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
The research i've done shows that a gay scientist found evidence of a gay
gene, but no one has been able to duplicate his results.  In scientific
research, that is a very serious thing.  It may have been better if he had
quietly coerced other scientists to duplicate his tests, then their failures
would not have overshadowed his possibly biased results.

? Cold fusion anyone? I'm afraid I don't know enough about it, but what
methods were used by this scientist who found them? Have others tried his
same methods? Or their own? How long do they take? How consistant are they?
How many cases were examined? Honestly? Biology is tough. It's MUCH more
difficult to work in a biological setting than, say, a physics setting. So
many 'other factors'. So little known.

A number of people duplicated the results by following the same method as
the original claimants - but basically those were non-critical attempts (the
methods themselves were not initially questioned).  I asked my father-in-law
at the time why Cal Tech hadn't issued any results and his response was,
"Because we are being careful."  (He has multiple degrees in chemistry and
physics from Cal Tech and was on the Board of Trustees (or some such body)
at the time).  There were questioning the methods and not just the results.
I don't recall their final pronouncement, but they did not feel the initial
results were valid (I seem to recall something as simple as they missed not
stirring the solution, but please don't quote me - I'm not sure at all).

Bruce