 Off-Topic / Debate / 15034
Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:39:52 GMT

Kirby Warden wrote:

This seems like as good a place as any to jump in.

  The research i've done shows that a gay scientist found evidence of a gay
gene, but no one has been able to duplicate his results.  In scientific
research, that is a very serious thing.  It may have been better if he had
quietly coerced other scientists to duplicate his tests, then their failures
would not have overshadowed his possibly biased results.

Quietly coercing other scientists to duplicate research sounds like a
more serious issue then a lack of repetability.  I'm not sure if I'm
parsing your meaning of your last sentence correctly but putting out an
idea and seeing if others get the same results is part of science.
There are countless examples of this in the literature.  I'm reading
your last sentence as something more sinister- only publishing if others
get the same pattern.  That's bad science practice.

Unless you mean that he should have said "Hmm, I found a 'gay-gene' and
this seems like a big deal and the media is going to latch onto this.
Maybe I should have ask some colleages to try the same procedure to see
if my results are just a fluke?"  I would see this as good practice.  Of
course, in the uber-competive nature of the biomedical fields, you won't
find this happening much.

Proving that the gay gene exists is a very serious matter.  If it does
exist, then over 4,000 yrs. of religious doctrine must be either changed or
simply buried.  Also, gay individuals could then demand special treatment
similiar to other racial minorities, much of which would come out of
taxpayers wallets.  There are many other possible negatives that can and
would occure with the "official" acknowledgement of yet another racial
minority/special interest group.  Personally, I think we have enough
problems trying to appease everyone already.

So anyone with 'rare' genes should be allowed to be a special
interest...   ... I think I just decided that the media should be banned
from reporting on genes.  (kidding in a frustrated manner )

I'm taking issue with the idea of a gay gene.  It can't be a
single-locus gene(if it is genetically based)- how would that gene be
maintained in the population?

The more thought I put into this matter, the more it feels like a political
movement.

now you're thinking...

-chris