 Off-Topic / Debate / 15014
Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 06:57:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:

I find
it very interesting that the person answering these questions uses religion
as a scapegoat for why the gay community chooses birth rather than choice.
Also, futher down, he states that he will not argue hypothetical questions,
yet clings to gay by birth, an unproven theory.

For those who may be quick to judge, I am not anti-gay.

I would not necessarily assume you were anti-gay, although I might assume your
stance is based primarily on belief rather than logic.

I believe people choose their sexual orientation.

Well, here's the thing that gets me.  I've never seen anyone give a convincing
reason why anyone would choose to be gay.  Oh, wait,  here's a reason to be a
gay man-- men earn more than women do, so a two income male household has a
higher disposable income than a two income male/female household or, God
forbid, a two income female household-- hey, there's a reason NOT to choose to
be a lesbian!

OTOH I have seen plenty of reasons why a person, if it were simply a matter of
choice, would opt to be straight.  A friend of mine just came out a few months
ago, even though he had to break his engagement and do whole a lot of
'splainin' to a whole lot of people.  His fiancee was "everything he would want
in a woman."  Now why would he *choose* to be gay after trying so hard to
live a conventional heterosexual life?  It's not like our society goes out of
its way to make it easy on gay people.  In some cases quite the contrary.

And logically, wouldn't it make the most sense, if it were a matter of choice,
to be bisexual?  You'd have a lot more choice in dating partners.  If you
wanted to have kids you could go with the opposite sex, and if not, same sex,
and then birth control wouldn't be a problem!

Several gay participants of the debate adamantly refused to accept that I
could be anything but anti-gay.

Probably because the obvious reason for the pro-choice argument is that the
anti-gay religious right cannot reconcile the belief that God punishes these
horrible sinners with the belief that God made them that way. Too bad some of
their OTHER arguments couldn't be pro-choice! (Sorry, guys, couldn't resist!)

Maggie C.